Brush Guard for LR4. (Part II)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a response to an old thread which cannot be reposted to; therefore, I am starting a new thread.

Ndrenfro: Land Rover Joe again-

I am reviving this stream and would like to share some new information I have uncovered. I hope you or someone will find it useful. I have been seeking a real Bull Guard / Brush Guard for my LR4 for some time as I work in Africa and all the animals (whether bulls, camels, goats, people, or even other ignorant drivers) out there make some real front-end protection worthwhile. For most folks, however, such protection is probably expensive and unnecessary (it is certainly not going to help your fuel economy!)

Several LR4 owners have apparently modified ARB Bull Guards manufactured for LR3’s to fit to their LR4’s. See picture at http://www.roverracks.com/images/LRWestPalm.jpg . I even found a link for instructions explaining the process on a different site from someone who went to their body-shop and wanted to do the modifications. You have to admit that the LR4 with the custom-made ARB brush guard looks tough…. but I would not put such a heavy component on my front end without all the engineering involved to ensure it won’t overstress the frame while driving, sheer off accidently, or bend the frame in the event of an animal strike or winching job. Those would end up being catastrophic events for the sake of tough looks.

I have recently corresponded with Mike from ARB and this is what he has to say about ARB LR4 “Heavy Bull Bars”:
”We are working on a bar specifically for the North American LR4. We currently have a prototype that will be fitted within the next month. Once we determine that the install works as it should, the tooling and building process will begin in Australia. Hang in there, we will have a proper bar for that truck.”

Thus, great news for all ARB fans with LR4s!

Also, I have spoken with Andy from RoverRacks and he told me that they are also assembling a prototype heavy bumper/Bull Bar/Brush Guard. So I am really looking forward to seeing what the different companies will be putting on the market in the next 6-12 months.

Here I must admit that I am rather unhappy with the Land Rover “Protection Bar” (Part Number VPLAP0022). This is the Land Rover solution to front end protection, but is it certainly not worth the price if you are looking for protection. For example, last October, I had a Toyota HiLux with raised suspension and heavy bumpers side-swipe me and nicked the “Protection Bar” by around a ½ inch with the tip of his rear bumper…and completely tore the whole front assembly of the “Protection Bar” off my truck. Perhaps the “Protection Bar” did in fact protect me from something (even though I don’t think so), but when you see the pieces of it you quickly realize there isn’t much "protection" in the "bar." It is 100% injection molded plastic, and the lower assembly is hollow. Total charge (here in Africa) to do the procurement and replacement for the plastic protection bar: $1800. Huah? Folks in the states won’t have to pay near that much, but the performance cannot justify the price. Therefore: I cannot recommend the "Protection Bar" to anyone other than folks wanting some more (fake) beef added to their front end. It can add an element of “off-road styling” to the truck, but adds nothing to off-road capability or vehicle protection.

A word of caution: Some of the off-road experts out there highly recommend AGAINST adding heavy bumpers as they change the weight distribution of the truck, hurt vehicle power and performance, strain the suspension because of the weight, decrease off-road traffic ability because they weigh the truck down, and in general provide very little to no increased capability to the vehicle. In fact, the Land Rover Publication “Working in the Wild; Land Rover's Manual for Africa” (which focuses on exclusively on series rovers and Defenders) does not even mention heavy bumpers or brush guards. Chris Scott, in his authoritative book “Sahara Overland, A Route and Planning Guide,” advocates against anything on the front end. Naturally, for desert driving in deep sand, one doesn’t need all the extra weight on a front end where one is not going to run into anything but hot air and sand. But-they definitely look (and are) tough. So….as always, it is worth educating oneself before making the big purchase and serious vehicle modification.

Hope this helps and I am curious if anyone else has heard about some real protection for LR4 front ends.

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe,
Any update on this? Im finally getting ready to install a winch and wanted to know if anyone had any updates on a brush guard/bull bar option for the LR4.
Thanks
Nathan

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a bump, would love hear of a few options. Sounds like someone out there could make a few bucks if they would come up with something.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan,

Well, good timing, but no good news. Here is where I am:

Back in November, I looked at the ARB website and found this:
http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-protection-equipment/bull-bars/deluxe-bull-bars/3232200/
Deluxe bull bar
Part no: 3232200*
This deluxe bull bar is available to suit 6 cylinder diesel vehicle models.
Specifically designed to suit its respective vehicle, a deluxe bull bar from ARB is engineered for maximum frontal protection. Incorporating numerous features as well as the ability to mount a range of accessories including IPF lights and CB aerials, ARB bull bars offer the ultimate in strength and style.
Note: will not suit HSE or V8 models

So…rats! Not for the V8 American LR4. I contacted our friends at ARB and they responded:

“we are currently waiting for a second prototype bumper for the NAS LR4 to arrive. Hopefully we'll have confirmed fitment in the next few weeks as soon as it arrives allowing us to go into production near the end of the year.”

No latest news from ARB and nothing else new on their website. So I asked Rover Racks about their idea to build heavy bumpers for the LR4, but I haven’t heard back from them.

Now, I have recently been looking at underbody protection (skid plates) and contacted Rasta4X4 ( http://www.rasta4x4.com/ ). They told me about their LR4 line:

“We have already produced underbody skid plates for the LR4.
The only deference between the LR4 & 3 is the front bumper guard.
Full set of skid plates, includes front bumper, engine, gear/transfer & radiators guards – 1299 USD
Sill guards – 575 USD or Rock sliders – 699 USD
Winch mount – 489 USD
Spare wheel guard – 268 USD
The prices above do not include shipping”

I can send you pictures of their winch mount in case you’re interested. It seems like a pretty slick design…but I haven’t dug into the details. I asked Rasta about the heavy bumpers and such…but they have not responded. They do make a swing wheel holder for the rear bumper, which is an interesting idea.

In conclusion: Still no one out there making the LR4 V8 heavy bumper just yet. I am still waiting…. Does anyone else know about LR4 Brush/Bull Guards?

Thanks,
Land Rover Joe

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe - Thanks for sharing this info. I'm surprised its taking this long to get this product out. I don't know if i will be able to wait that long on ARB. Best case it will prob be 2013 before their bars are on the market.

I have looked at Rasta products and they seem to be very well respected. I would like to see the pics of their winch mounts. Internal right? I'll send you PM.

ndrenfro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does look sweet. But I think I'll stick with the Devon 4x4 internal winch mount I've got on the way.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the hidden winch bracket? Further, which winch do you plan to use?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really love that brush guard. I'm excited, I just ordered a voyager rack and front skid plate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72