Busted Outriggers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A towning company returned my truck to me this week (long, sad story) and when I tried to drive it, the tires were rubbing badly on a couple of pieces of steel fabrication that I'd never noticed before. I called the dealer (180 miles away) and asked what the @#$#%&# they had done. The service manage was more patient than I would have been and explained that there was nothing rubbing when they turned it over to the tow company.

It turns out that the tow company saw a nifty place right behind the wheels to tie off, and just kept tightening their straps until the straps stopped moving. The outriggers were pulled about 3-inches forward and rub the tires when the wheel is turned hard.

These outriggers bolt to the frame and apparently just float against the body to restrict travel of the body forward of the door (they don't bolt onto the body cage at all). I've ordered replacement outriggers and will install them when they get here (the old ones are off). My question is: Is it safe to drive the truck with the outriggers removed? If so, what kind of driving is it safe for (i.e., can I go to the store for milik? How about a dirt road? How about door-deep mud?).

David
New Mexico, USA
'05 LR3 SE, White

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you are talking about the bracket thingies just behind the front wheels about in line with the front edge of the doors? Part #'s KVU500071 and KVU500161? I looked @ a car in the shop and can't figure what those do, except maybe protect the front body mounts in a collision?, or a convenient place to mount side steps? I just don't see any consistent use that they do. We drove mine for a week or so while pounding it to locate a rattle. I am not saying that is a good thing, but the car didn't spontaneously combust, either. I don't see any logical reason that you couldn't drive in a normal, prudent fashion until you get yours re-installed.

Then get your money back from the rookie tow-driver, if you were the one who is footing any of this bill. Then, point to the handy section in the owners manual related to tie-down points for towing.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I have side-steps and there is nothing attached to the outboard end of these things, they just float. The new ones came late yesterday and it only took 15 minutes to install them (they clear the body by about 1/4 inch).

I'm not sure the tow truck driver could read. I paid for the parts and sent the bill to the tow company (with a copy to Roadside Assistance), so maybe I'll get reimbursed.

I'm still wondering if it would have been safe to just remove them for the weekend if UPS had been late.

David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM