Buying a service loaner? Bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axg1040

Reaction score
I plan on buying an LR3 in the very new future. I have had my eye on a few 07 LR3s "loaners" the local LR dealer has. The sell them fairly quickly and normally have 2 or 3 at any given time.
They never have more than 5,000 miles. The are spotless inside and out. Great tread on all 4 tires. They appear to be well cared for. They have been selling the 07 SE's for 39k and the HSE's for 43k.
Good idea? Bad idea?
I work in the auto insurance claims world and can spot paint/body/frame work, so I am not concerned with that side of things. My concern would be with how people drove them....did they beat them?

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2007 last month. 5K miles, spotless,as you describe, and loaded. Only gripe is that the OEM tires are going away already and I had the "parking brake at 70mph" issue. This was promptly fixed at no cost.

I did buy the dealer's extended warranty, but got it at a $500 discount simply by asking.

All in all, I'm very pleased.

ChuckD

axg1040

Reaction score
What did you pay for the extended warranty? Which one did you buy?
Thanks

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About $2,600. It is from LR for 72 months. 100,000 miles with no third party company evident. $100 deductible per visit. Policy says "LR Assured".

ChuckD

chomondely

Reaction score
I bought a service loaner and I have been pleased with it. Owning a Land Rover means that you will have the opportunity to drive a service loaner while your is in the shop. Most times, I just drive the service loaner to work and then back to the dealer. Fairly easy driving. At least in Hoston, my bet is that most folks do no have the opportunity to abuse the service loaner. As my V6 gets clsoer to 80k miles, I will probably get another service loaner with Xenon lights, cold climate and the HD package. I have about 43k and I usemine off the road quite a bit.

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was a guy on another board that took his service loaner into a ditch cause he was stupid and it just happened to damage the underside and it cost him alot of money for his stupidity.

funniest thing was he was ****** the dealer charged him for everything cause he felt cause it was a land rover he could do whatever he wanted.

the cops did him in cause he damaged the thing on private property.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a loaner from my dealer (actually plan on my next LR3 to be just that.) When in a loaner you sign documentation stating that you will not take off road and pretty much assure it will be in same condition when returning it Plus it's discounted from a new one..

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a service loaner ( '06 lr3 se ) last december, before year end to get tax benefits.. seemed like a good deal as dealer took off about $15K from MSRP and it had about 5K miles on it.. no strange problems other than standard LR stuff..

axg1040

Reaction score
i bought a service loaner ( '06 lr3 se ) last december, before year end to get tax benefits.. seemed like a good deal as dealer took off about $15K from MSRP and it had about 5K miles on it.. no strange problems other than standard LR stuff..

What kind of problems did you have?

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well.. as far as i can tell, mostly TSB or common issues.. here is a quick list..

1) clogged sunroof drains
2) leaking wiper fluid res. (yet to be fully resolved)
3) hesitation after cold start (yet to be fully resolved)
4) emergency brake
5) cruise control sensor (yet to be resolved)
6) tire pressure monitoring system (yet to be resolved)

the "yet to be resolved" are recent things i haven't had the dealer work on yet.. i also had them do an alignment after i took delivery and rotate the tires..

hope that helps.. like i said.. i don't think any of those are service loaner specific

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4