Can't change gear on a long journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobinS

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post here so please be kind :)

I have a Diesel SW 2.5 Td5 GS 7 seat 5dr Disco with a manual gearbox. It is a late 2001 / 2002 vehicle.
Just recently on a couple of occasions I have been unable to get it into gear. This only happens after I have been cruising on the motorway for about an hour (60 or 70 miles) without changing gear. Basically I am happily cruising down the motorway, no strange noises, nothing odd. I come to my junction, indicate to turn off slow down, press the clutch. Nothing feels wrong or strange about the clutch and it comes out of 5th gear no problems. Trouble is it won't go back into gear. It is as if the clutch is till engaged (nasty scranching sound when I try to get in gear). I pull on to the hard shoulder (coasting is not a problem as I am out of gear at this point) and stop. After a bit (less than a minute) I can get into gear and carry on my way with no further ill effects. The problem then does not re-occur (although to be fair the next stretch of the journey does not have the same long stretch without a gear change) and I can hapily drive around, changing gear to my hearst content with no problem. I called out the AA the first time it happened and I assume they checked allthe obvious stuff and the guy assured me there was nothing wrong withthe clutch but it keeps happenning.
Any ideas?
I should point out I am no mechanic so please be gentle with your answers (or requests for further info)

Thanks

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have air in the hydraulics. Have you tried bleeding the clutch?

RobinS

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Would the sort of clutch problem you mention only happen after a long period of not changing gear? It is fine when the car has been standing without the engine running, it's only after a long(ish) period of driving without changing gear. The pedal feels normal when I press it just before the problem occurs.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level in the transmission lately? If the pressure of the pedal feels fine I would think throw out bearing or pressure plate trouble along with proper fluid level. Heat kills. Tom could also be correct however usually the hydraulics wouldn't cause this problem if the vehicle is "good to go " in a bit.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throwout bearing would squeal like mad, but unlikely to prevent you from shifting, at least not until it's completely gone.
Gearbox oil level could exacerbate it, however I've driven Series rovers that shifted fine only to find the gearbox level was embarrassingly low.
Driving a while could be just enough to heat the hydraulics that the air bubbles expanded enough that you can't get good clutch action. When you've had the problem it sounds like you've tried to shift a few times and so are "pumping" the pedal enough to get it to work.
If it was happening all the time, I'd say low fluid/air or a worn syncronizer.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard the same issues with the early Lotus Esprits, they had an issue with the hydraulic clutch line would get old and cause similar clutch issues... I would start with the clutch Hydraulic as already recommended.

RobinS

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks everyone.
It sounds like the consensus is air in the hyraulics (and the explaination makes sense as to why it would act that way).
I will try bleeding the system and fingers crossed that will do the trick.
I'll let you know in a while (no long journeys planned for a bit) if all is well.

Thanks again.

Robin

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's never been done, completely flush the system with new brake fluid. Same actually applies the the brake system if it's never been done. I think it's every 36 months it's supposed to be done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635