cold starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dronedog

when i start my truck in the morning it shoots up to over 2000rpm. it settles back down to about 1400 pretty quick but until it does it sounds like the valves will tap right out of the engine. just for a second or so until the oil gets up into them. also the rpm will not drop until i put it into gear. something that can't be too good for the transmission. anyone experience this? is there a software fix out there to slow it down a little when cold?
Thanks
the dog

H

Houm_WA

I guess I'm old-school. I "warm up" my car by letting it idle...pretty much exactly what the manual says not to do...but what the hell do they know? I have a '97 Montero with 210,000 miles on it that I treated the same way, and it has always run like a tank. ...no suspension faults with the Montero anyway !!

...but, point being, if you let it idle for a minute, the rpms will drop to about 740, then you can put it into gear if you prefer.

X

xcursion

Same here. I always let the car idle for a few minutes for the needle to get up and rev drops below 1k rpm before shifting into gear. Always done that for all my cars.

D

dronedog

i have tried that but it does not seem to idle down. maybe i am not waiting long enough but i am sure i wait about a minute. i will time tomorrow. so far it has not idle down. but when i put it in gear, no matter how long i wait short or long, it will then idle down to about 750. either way that does not help the high RPM start. that can't be good for the valves. maybe i should run a little slick 50 in there to keep them with some lubricant on them for the start up..
the dog

X

xcursion

It should be more than a minute. More like 5.....And my also drops to about 750rpm when I shift in gear early.

H

Houm_WA

...it was less than a minute this morning...but I'm only in WA state, it's not all that cold up here.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...haven't seen this long of a high idle on mine in warm or cold weather starts. I start it up, it idles high, and then within 30 seconds it drops down. ('05 HSE)

D

dronedog

checked mine this morning. i sat went back in the house for something and then cam back out. about 30 seconds after that, it idled down. so it will go there, i just need to wait. it was only about 39 here.
that real high rev at the start with no oil up in the engine bothers me though. i am guessing no one has had to have their dealer adjust this?

S

schafari

This happens to me if the truck sits for awhile. At first I thougth it was everytime in the morning, but it is not. I can't quite get a pattern established yet; however, I am tending to think it is if it sits for a couple of days, and it relatively cold out. . . I am in TX and the vehicle is garaged all the time, home and work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635