Cooper Zeon LTZ Off-Road tires on Stock 19" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe just a little bit. I'm still trying to decide about running rods full time. I have a set. I may try without at first and see how it goes.
.... and I am allowing you to do the research and I plan to tag along later this year when I get the compomotives and those same tires. ;-)

I am also still back and forth between the rods and the IID Tool - though, if the tires do rub, then I think we will have no choice but the rods?

When are you going to get them installed?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265/65/18

IMG_20130808_161649_zpsce8dd686.jpg
Hey mbw,

One more question.... How much was your entire set-up (Comps, tires, and sensors)? I am trying to put my projects in order and I am trying to decide between the wheels/tires and ARB front bumper - which one to do first. I have the Coopers on my 19" wheels, so they are capable for what I need right now.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, chunkier and grippier tire / wheel combos are always Priority One with these cars, the 19s by Cooper are far better than the wimpy stock setup for off-roading, but still somewhat of a compromise. Underbody protection (rock / tree sliders in particular) is # 2, steel bumpers a distant third for me. I don't know if I will ever bring myself to put steel bumpers on my LR4 personally, mostly because they are quite a... commitment. They are heavy and completely change the look of our cars.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 umbertob. I don't think steel bumpers on on my list for now. I want to do a hidden winch, maybe next summer.

Compomotives are still not here yet. They basically have to make them to order. i did a little more background reading though about the wheels. They cast them with aluminum, for strength and then they also sort of forge them, by taking a cnc machine to them and finish them off. They do all the work in house. Gordon from the Green Oval Experience (in aus) worked with compo to create this wheel for late model rovers. Turns out they are related to wheels designed for the Bowler Wildcat, and they are used for rally and dakar type events also. Cool stuff.

Cost breakdown.

QTY:5 265/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor EACH:$214.00 TOTAL:$1,070.00 USD
QTY:5 tpmsdirect.com tpms sensors, EACH:$74 TOTAL:$382.99 USD
QTY:5 Compomotive PD1880 8X18 BLACK TOTAL:£1,263.60 ==$1,962.99 USD (Paypal fee: £48.60, shipping £265)
QTY:1 Set of Johnson Rods TOTAL:$173.50 USD (18.50 shipping)
Still need to pay for mount/balance, and if I use the rods, alignment at LR dealer.

Not a cheap project, will be about $4k when all said and done.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, chunkier and grippier tire / wheel combos are always Priority One with these cars, the 19s by Cooper are far better than the wimpy stock setup for off-roading, but still somewhat of a compromise. Underbody protection (rock / tree sliders in particular) is # 2, steel bumpers a distant third for me. I don't know if I will ever bring myself to put steel bumpers on my LR4 personally, mostly because they are quite a... commitment. They are heavy and completely change the look of our cars.
Thanks, Umberto.

I actually highly value your opinion and I agree with you about the tires. I made the first step with the Coopers, but I think my next big purchase should be the 18" Compomotives and some new tires. I will keep my 19" stock wheels and Coopers of course and perhaps use them at times (especially if I move to a snowy climate and want good snow/ice tires).

In conjunction, I am slowing getting underbody protection as well. Between Tactical Rovers and Asfir, I am getting a few more pieces.

I know what you mean about the steel bumpers, as it is a BIG change and definitely involve a commitment. I really like the look, but I want to be practical and the bumper really is not the most important level of protection that I would need. Plus, if I do ever want to get rid of my truck, having the ARB bumper could be a hinderance to most buyers. I think I am better off with a winch tray or something.

I think I'll spend my ~$2,000 I was thinking on the bumper and go with the Compomotives in the near future.

Thanks again for your input!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 umbertob. I don't think steel bumpers on on my list for now. I want to do a hidden winch, maybe next summer.

Compomotives are still not here yet. They basically have to make them to order. i did a little more background reading though about the wheels. They cast them with aluminum, for strength and then they also sort of forge them, by taking a cnc machine to them and finish them off. They do all the work in house. Gordon from the Green Oval Experience (in aus) worked with compo to create this wheel for late model rovers. Turns out they are related to wheels designed for the Bowler Wildcat, and they are used for rally and dakar type events also. Cool stuff.

Cost breakdown.

QTY:5 265/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor EACH:$214.00 TOTAL:$1,070.00 USD
QTY:5 tpmsdirect.com tpms sensors, EACH:$74 TOTAL:$382.99 USD
QTY:5 Compomotive PD1880 8X18 BLACK TOTAL:£1,263.60 ==$1,962.99 USD (Paypal fee: £48.60, shipping £265)
QTY:1 Set of Johnson Rods TOTAL:$173.50 USD (18.50 shipping)
Still need to pay for mount/balance, and if I use the rods, alignment at LR dealer.

Not a cheap project, will be about $4k when all said and done.
Thanks, mbw!

That's about what I thought. The Compomotives sound like they are a great product and extremely well built. I am likely going wit hthe same scenario as you, so I am very excited to read more about your experience with installing everything and the tire set-up. I had not looked into the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor tires, but was surprised they were only $214.00 each - same price as the Coopers.

Thanks again for all your input - I appreciate the cost breakdown.

-David

blackadder

Reaction score
Local tire guy told me. In no way does that make it correct...lol

Figured you guys may know the truth !

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I just bought a set last week. 2 shops I called had no problem finding them. As for size, I went with 2555519 for my LR3 since Im mostly on the road. I like them alot. Also a good look too.. Previous tires were Pirelli ATRs, 2 sets. they were great but unfortunately are out of production...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9