Crazy 1996 range rover 4.0 eletrical?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

ecw31180

Alright guys here's a kicker of a problem. I have my 1996 range rover at the lease and deer season ended so i left it up there. I unhooked the battery and went on my merry way. I didnt start my car for like 4 months, and when i get back up there someone, kids proabably, broke a window and stole my aftermarket radio. Not a problem but i thought id mention it in case that could be a problem. So i started my car and it started rightaway, no problems, but my speedometer and tachomoeter are not working, just sitting on 0. Furthermore, my digital odometer, the one you can reset, reads 0 all the time. I drove it home to see if a long drive would reinvigorate my instrument panel but it didnt. Also of note, when i turn on my overhead lights, my instrument panel RESETS. Then i turn them off and it goes back on. I first noticed this when i opened the door when the car was running and it reset the instrument panel, but found out it was the overhead lights coming on when i opened the door. And i replaced the battery for good measure anyway and it didnt fix the problem either. Hope someone is able to help me, because im at a loss

HELP
Thanks
Eric Wright

E

ecw31180

Found out the problem

When those kids ripped out my radio they damaged a few wires, and they were frounding out. These grounding wires blew my number 1 fuse which also happens to run the intirumetn panel and, the shorting was wreaking havoc with my lights. So if you speedometer and odomoteer and tachometer all stop working at once, check the fuse :)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't see your first post until now, or I was going to suggest the wiring where the kids stole the radio (not that they can use it without the code)

C

Cheapskate

My problem exactly - without the radio theft Has anybody ay suggestions where to look
make Range Rover
> model 4.0L
> year 1996
> intermittent No
> cover removed No
> light No
> codes Notebook. Advises that BECM has lost conact with Instrument panel
(and also seat controls - not fitted to this model)
> date fault noted At time of Work See below
> coincident Battery Disconnected and New Battery Fitted as per handbook
instructions
> workdone Checked physical connections. Ran Notebook. Tried leaving
battery connected and disconnected for longer periods
> faultdescription All warning lights in instrument panel are permanently on
(even with key removed and Vehicle Locked.) No Tachometer, Speedometer, fuel
or temprature guage although warning lights on. Notebook cannot activate
these items. SRS flashes when key off but switches of normally when engine
runs. All other functions appear to work normally and car drives OK
Help!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the ECU got shorted out when battery was changed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM