Cut My Loses - LR3 Traded For Audi Q5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalslug

Reaction score
It's sad to see my 2005 LR3 go but the repair list and cost was just stacking up. Plus the LR3 was my fiance's daily driver and was becoming unreliable and was potentially going to leave her stranded. We decided that it was time for a new car so we traded in the LR3 for 2015 Audi Q5 2.0T

We are overall satisfied with our purchase. It came with almost all the options minus the S-line package. The 2.0T has some nice kick and we will save on gas going from a v8 to 4cyclinder turbo. The technology in the car is amazing and the panoramic moon roof beats the 3 moon roofs in the LR3. The best part is that we got Audi care for the time of the warranty so no out of pocket scheduled maintenance costs.

I will stick around for a bit as I have a few items I need to sell like Dish cover, OEM front/rear/cargo rubber mats, windshield visor and OEM 18inch wheels. Watch for them in the sell section.

The LR3 was a great car we and I had lots of good memories and trips in it. Hopefully it will find a good owner out there.

Sorry for the bad camera phone picture of the new car.

=
20150322_101624_resized_zps1cjefqci.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Q5. Audi has come a long way and makes high quality, fun-to-drive vehicles. I drove Audis for many years and really miss owning one now. We traded a 2007 Q7 for the LR3 because we moved to a town with a drive-on beach and the Q7 wasn't great in sand.

I've been dumping thousands into our LR3 every year and have had the same dilemma. Right now the alternator is starting to whine, AC only works sometimes, and I'm getting an abrupt banging noise out of the front end at low speed downshifts from second to first gear.

This is the last year that Audi is bringing wagons to the US, so I'm thinking about an allroad. I had owned a 2002 and 2004 A6-based allroad but I wonder if the A4-based allroad is just too small. So maybe another Q7 with a TDI is the way to go. This is the last year for that model as well before the new, really ugly next generation Q7 arrives.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your wife, the Q5 is a good call. That's what my wife drives as well and she loves it. I don't like it compared to my LR3 (LR3 just seems more solid, capable, and much more cargo space) but it is the clear winner for her.

I have to agree with you on the moon roof that VW/Audi has been putting in their cars. I almost bought a VW Sportwagon diesel as a commuter last year and even that lower end car has a killer sunroof. They do nice.

metalslug

Reaction score
Congrats on the Q5. Audi has come a long way and makes high quality, fun-to-drive vehicles. I drove Audis for many years and really miss owning one now. We traded a 2007 Q7 for the LR3 because we moved to a town with a drive-on beach and the Q7 wasn't great in sand.

I've been dumping thousands into our LR3 every year and have had the same dilemma. Right now the alternator is starting to whine, AC only works sometimes, and I'm getting an abrupt banging noise out of the front end at low speed downshifts from second to first gear.

This is the last year that Audi is bringing wagons to the US, so I'm thinking about an allroad. I had owned a 2002 and 2004 A6-based allroad but I wonder if the A4-based allroad is just too small. So maybe another Q7 with a TDI is the way to go. This is the last year for that model as well before the new, really ugly next generation Q7 arrives.

Thanks!! We already own an Audi S4 B7 Avant 6speed manual and it's blast to drive. Not the most reliable car either. Had to do the timing chain service at 89k miles and cost 6k. Thankfully extended warranty covered it.

Our LR3 was also starting to have the alternator whine. That could be why it would randomly wanted to start up. You may need new front bushings for the banging noise you have.

Saw pictures of the new gen Q7 and I'm not digging that front end myself. I considered a C5 A6 Allroad a while back also but heard that the air suspension going bad on those cars was costly. Lots of folks did the coil spring conversation to avoid those repair costs.

twinpipes

Reaction score
I.m thinking about purchasing a 2009 LR3 commercial, this is putting me off a bit.:eek:

metalslug

Reaction score
For your wife, the Q5 is a good call. That's what my wife drives as well and she loves it. I don't like it compared to my LR3 (LR3 just seems more solid, capable, and much more cargo space) but it is the clear winner for her.

I have to agree with you on the moon roof that VW/Audi has been putting in their cars. I almost bought a VW Sportwagon diesel as a commuter last year and even that lower end car has a killer sunroof. They do nice.

She loves it and I only driven it once since we got it lol. I already mentioned an APR tune and she's all in for it :cool:. Oh yeah agreed that the LR3 and the Q5 are in different categories. It's built like a tank for sure and capable of even going on sand like PaulLR3 mentioned that not even the Q7 could do. She felt like Marge Simpson driving the Canyonero in the LR3.

metalslug

Reaction score
I.m thinking about purchasing a 2009 LR3 commercial, this is putting me off a bit.:eek:

Saw your post on the TDV6 you want to purchase. Looks to be well maintained and good mileage. I say pull the trigger but just have some rainy day funds set aside. Interesting that they come with 6 speed transmission in Europe. If it doesn't have air suspension even better.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
metalslug, when the times comes to sell your S4 avant you will be amazed what 6MT avants are selling for used, now that they are extinct in the US.

Our family outgrew our B7 A4 3.2 6MT avant. With 160K miles, it sold in one day for $14K on quattroworld. And I received emails for weeks from people looking to buy it.

As for the LR3, I already replaced all the front bushings, ball joints, control arms, booth front hubs, etc. This new noise is either the front differential going bad or maybe the torque converter. It's a tough decision when to stop dumping money into the LR3. Every time you do it, you justify driving it longer until the next problem comes up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4