Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Asthetic only. No safety issue to be concerned about.

The back of the dash pad is likely relieved to make sure it 'breaks' in the proper pattern if/when the airbag deploys. It's likely that these relieved areas are starting to dry and crack, that's all.

That's what I figured too. Thanks!

lmgcr

Reaction score
Has anyone info on where to buy the dash boards, I want to replace it but seems hard to get

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you apply a good quality spray that protects vinyl from UV rays. I have had good luck with 303 Aerospace Protectant so far. Do not use Armor-All, I have read it can actually damage vinyl. Does anybody have a solution for the two corners of the center steering wheel pad that are curling up?

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you apply a good quality spray that protects vinyl from UV rays. I have had good luck with 303 Aerospace Protectant so far. Do not use Armor-All, I have read it can actually damage vinyl. Does anybody have a solution for the two corners of the center steering wheel pad that are curling up?

I want to say there was a TSB for that issue....Mine was replaced under warranty by dealer.

grecoroman

Reaction score
Hi there-

Looks like the SC Sun finally started to wear down on my dash. Any recommendations to fix the line that started to develop? If not, i can live with it, but just want to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Any good products out there to help?

Attachments

• Dash.jpeg
    Dash.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 29

metalslug

Reaction score
I noticed my 05 V8 SE had this issue just over a year now and has gotten bigger present day. Extended warranty wouldn't cover it. Said it was cosmetic and the airbags wouldn't deploy because of it.

Spoke briefly to a LandRover dealer service advisor and was no help at all. Just said "It's real expensive to replace, around 3-5k" what a ****.

Spoke to my local mom and pop LandRover shop where I get all my stuff done and they said a used one would be about $500 dollars plus install but they couldn't gurantee that the replacement won't crack later down the line. He said he looked around in forums and other folks are trying to fit and LR4 dash instead.

Any online LandRover salvage parts shop also quoted me $500 but if they had some in stock.

Spoke to some uphostry shops and they all said it can't be fixed. The filler they would use will just unstick depending on the weather. If you noticed in hot weather it will seal up and disappear and once temps drops it will reopen. They said it would just get worse.

I might eventually break down and just get a salvaged one. To me it's more about knowning it's cracked and being and eye sore to look at for a LandRover of all cars.

Pics below are from late last year. The cracks have gotten bigger since.

IMAG0091DriversSideVentCrack_zps516fd886.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0090PassengerSideVentCrack_zpsd4832dff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0088CenterDashCrack_zpsdff401a9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I very briefly looked at fitting the LR4 dash because it's a lot nicer. Didn't grow legs; too expensive for what you'd get back. I'm not even 100% sure they'd fit...HOWEVER, if my dash started cracking I'd consider making it happen or even going a custom route. If you're gonna have to spend $ anyway, it might be worth it to spend X% more to have something nicer when it's all said 'n done.

I guess I should be thankful to live in the NW where the temps are mild...that and to have a garage!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears everyone has / will have the same d ash cracks, myself included.. bummer.. I've seen 20 year old car dashes in better shape..

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'd start looking for a wrecker (rear ended) with a dash in one piece in the right color if mine was doing this...a total PITA but much less than buying new from the factory and hopefully there's an LR4 out there with extended leather that has seen an early demise and would work as a donor.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rovernut: are you CERTAIN that an LR4 dash would fit in an LR3?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112