Dead Battery Mark Twain NF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are camped in Mark Twain NF with a now dead battery. Jumped twice, and car wouldn’t stay running. No issues until dead battery. Arranging for a tow (luckily not too deep in the woods) and possibly battery replacement. I assume the car wouldn’t stay running since the battery is probably completely shot.

Lots of errors, but I assume those were due to bad battery and attempted jumps. What is the correct size battery?

if more than a battery, A Ford dealer may be my best bet unless anyone can recommend a shop.

thanks.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score

H7 is the stock size, H8 will fit without mods and is slightly larger. I threw in an Interstate AGM H8 from Costco.

Do you have anyway to test your alternator? Kind of odd that the car won't stay running after a jump.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s your alternator then you will get “charging system failure” on the cluster when you start up and a red warning triangle I think.

After jumping make sure that the battery connections are tight. It could be one has worked lose.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem solved with a tow truck jump. I’m thinking the lithium just didn’t have enough to keep it going while the truck battery remaining connected allowed the Rover to get up to required power. I’ll look at a bigger booster, new battery and perhaps a second house battery anyway.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score

H7 is the stock size, H8 will fit without mods and is slightly larger. I threw in an Interstate AGM H8 from Costco.

Do you have anyway to test your alternator? Kind of odd that the car won't stay running after a jump.
I’ll look into the H8 battery.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went with an H8. Ground could have been tighter, but the battery was toast regardless. Thanks for the help / tips.

MDJ2015

Reaction score
We are camped in Mark Twain NF with a now dead battery. Jumped twice, and car wouldn’t stay running. No issues until dead battery. Arranging for a tow (luckily not too deep in the woods) and possibly battery replacement. I assume the car wouldn’t stay running since the battery is probably completely shot.

Lots of errors, but I assume those were due to bad battery and attempted jumps. What is the correct size battery?

if more than a battery, A Ford dealer may be my best bet unless anyone can recommend a shop.

thanks.

I’ve had my LR4 battery die twice on camping trips. I believe two things are at play:

1. The key is in proximity to the vehicle keeping the keyless entry /start active for an extended period. Wrap the key in aluminum foil to avoid this.

2. People getting things in and out of the car. Using the tail gate for sitting/prepping things.

Drives me a bit crazy and now I think about how I park when camping and take a fully charged power-on-demand battery with me.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had my LR4 battery die twice on camping trips. I believe two things are at play:

1. The key is in proximity to the vehicle keeping the keyless entry /start active for an extended period. Wrap the key in aluminum foil to avoid this.

2. People getting things in and out of the car. Using the tail gate for sitting/prepping things.

Drives me a bit crazy and now I think about how I park when camping and take a fully charged power-on-demand battery with me.
Do all the LR4’s react to proximity of the key fob? I didn’t think my 2011 HSE did? It doesn’t remote start that I know of and a button push is required to unlock.

I have been wondering if there’s a setting through the GAP tool to keep the car from “waking” every time you open a door? I do turn off the dome lights, but that’s not enough.

In the longer term I plan to put a 2nd battery in for jump and house.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my battery camping. I'm usually pretty reckless as far as leaving doors open, staying close to the car (key fob proximity) and turning lights on and off.

There's a specific voltage that the car kills the interior lights.

I don't worry though, I carry a lithium jump starter with me.

Bumblefk

Reaction score
I just dealt with this problem. After a jump do you get low battery warning? Smart key not found? Did you have to use the manual key to unlock? This was my issue and solved when I replaced the auxiliary battery. You have 2 batteries in your lr4. Mine was right in front of steering wheel under the hood but I think I saw that previous models had it by the hatch door. An oem auxiliary battery is about $325-$350 plus labor is you have a shop do it. I went a different way. Found a battery at autozone about the same specs

Duralast Gold ETX14 Group BTX14 AGM Ready-To-Ride Power Sport Battery 220 CCA​

Once I figured out how to hook up the terminals (new one has no posts) everything is fine no more mayhem

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA