Decent trailer hitch/bike rack combo on a budget ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a rack for 4 bikes that won't be super sketchy and shake and whatnot, you need something a bit nicer. I highly recommend Kuat racks.

I have expensive taste in general, but I am not putting my Trek Domane SLR 8 on just any crap rack. (I spent like $7k on my bike, which yes.. is nuts, but I love the damn thing).

With the Kuat, Nothing to scratch it. Rock solid, built in decent locks and doesn't shake with the hitch tightening knob thing it has. It does stick out a lot, but it folds up nice.

i-6T2wVXS-XL.jpg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't like those style of racks, nothing keeps them from swinging and they are really tight between the bikes. And nothing tightens the rack in the hitch. I guess if you don't care about scratches its not an issue. I can't even put my higher end road bike on racks like that because you are not supposed to put load on the top tube of a light carbon frame.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Anyone familiar with this one ? Seems like a good price:
https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I wasnt too concerned with scratching my frames but rather just want to throw the family bikes on the rack for the occasional trip to the trails.

Everyone has different needs/budgets/preferences. I'm with the others who have commented and I opted for something a bit nicer. The Thule rack I use was on deep discount when I got it and it was still over $500...for only two-bike capacity. But I love it and I love my bike even though it's not exotic or overly expensive. Mostly I love the ease of use of mounting the Thule and the drop-dead simplicity of loading and unloading bikes. And when I'm underway it's like the thing is welded to the Rover's frame. No bounce, rattle, sway, or anything.

At the price point of the one you're looking at, I'd say get it and try it. If it works, great. If not, you're only in to it for a modest amount of money if you decide to upgrade.

The other thing to consider is that once your kids grow out of little bikes and get into adult bikes, the times you'll be loading all of the family's bikes at the same time will be limited. Sad but true.

Last edited:

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a rack for 4 bikes that won't be super sketchy and shake and whatnot, you need something a bit nicer. I highly recommend Kuat racks.

I have expensive taste in general, but I am not putting my Trek Domane SLR 8 on just any crap rack. (I spent like $7k on my bike, which yes.. is nuts, but I love the damn thing).

With the Kuat, Nothing to scratch it. Rock solid, built in decent locks and doesn't shake with the hitch tightening knob thing it has. It does stick out a lot, but it folds up nice.

i-6T2wVXS-XL.jpg
What running board do you have on your rig? I love them.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, people here might cringe but the four bike receiver rack at Walmart for $89 was fine for our needs. Yeah, it had some sway in it but a couple bungees to the trailer chain holes helped.
As a mechanical engineer it baffles me how expensive bike racks can be.
I even forgot to properly secure the drop down feature one time and it popped off as we stopped at a NJ turnpike rest stop. The rack and bikes pivoted down like a boat anchor out back and made a god awful noise but the only damage was to the rack end caps and my daughters pedal, which cost $10 to replace.

mgkonopka

Reaction score
I bought the Hollywood 4 bike tray mount from Amazon I believe it was around $340. Seems expensive but for a 4 bike tray that is cheap! I really like it. Sturdy, holds four bikes safely without knocking and is relatively light for its strength. The only things it lacks is the ability to tilt down with bikes on it (my work around is to take the two closest bikes off if I need to get in) and no integrated lock, also no big deal I bring a cable.

ggrupea

Reaction score
Hi, I have a thule bike rack, and it works very good. I install it on the tow hitch ball and thats all.

Another thing I like of this bike rack, is the small size it have to store it. Also, if you need to open the upper back door, yo just can let drop a little and the door open. For the down door, you must need to remove it (worst part).

Here is the link of mine

https://www.thule.com/es-cl/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-hangon-3-_-974000

Regards

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick