Defender 130 an LR4 replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone who really, really likes the new Defender and is fortunate enough to almost get whatever we want I'm driving the wheels off of this, our second 2013 LR4. To me the only drawback it sort of has is gas mileage, even there anything comparable has gas mileage just as bad.
Just took a 2000 mile road trip with the family: it's arguably one of the greatest family road trip vehicles. You can see, you can do 90 easily, it's quiet, etc.
A D130 could probably replace it, but my kids are still in the trash the car phase so why spend 5x as much for something I really really like but not quite as much as the LR4.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new 130 with bells and whistles will cost how much? Likely you can get a creampuff V8 LR4 for less than the one year depreciation hit on the new 130 . No brainer. Keep your money.

Update: Just did a 110 build to "mimic" my LR4. I assume the 130 will be even more...

Canadian pesos:

$101 476.
With Tax $106 610 delivery charges extra.

But Wait! LR low interest rate loan! 2.9%

5 year loan, no down payment = $1911 per month.

No thanks lol.

Last edited:

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A new 130 with bells and whistles will cost how much? Likely you can get a creampuff V8 LR4 for less than the one year depreciation hit on the new 130 . No brainer. Keep your money.

Update: Just did a 110 build to "mimic" my LR4. I assume the 130 will be even more...

Canadian pesos:

$101 476.
With Tax $106 610 delivery charges extra.

But Wait! LR low interest rate loan! 2.9%

5 year loan, no down payment = $1911 per month.

No thanks lol.

Yeah, that's a house in a significant part of the country.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What terrible reporting.

"
  • The Defender 130 is expected to seat seven in a body about 201 inches long, about the same overall length as the Cadillac Escalade and GMC Yukon."
Uh, no, not even close. At 201 inches the defender 130 is about the same overall length as an Explorer , not a GMC Yukon at 210 inches or a Cadillac Escalade at 211.9 inches. The Explorer is 198.8 inches which is much closer in size. I guess they must be adding the spare tire again. Ugh.

Not sure why the author is either too lazy to google lengths or deliberately trying to mislead the readers? This vehicle is not even close to a full sized SUV.

I am sure it will be a nicely appointed vehicle with a price tag of $110k plus for a nicely optioned example (LOL), but it is not going to be enjoyable for a family of seven. We have a family of five and our LR4 is just about right. Although (like most of you) I can afford to buy whatever I want, I think I am just getting sick of the endless drizzle of the same junk with a different dress being presented by (not just JLR) but all OEMs. I guess that is why I find the new Bronco appealing in many ways.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the family seating needs anymore but after test driving the 110, the lack of usable storage space compared to the venerable LR4 really stood out.

I'd like a nice V8 D90 for running around offroad, but jeez, that's tough to justify for the $$$.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the family seating needs anymore but after test driving the 110, the lack of usable storage space compared to the venerable LR4 really stood out.

I'd like a nice V8 D90 for running around offroad, but jeez, that's tough to justify for the $$$.

As the new models are rolled out it appears to me like Land Rover really $hit the bed on this one. They would have been so much further ahead by keeping the LR4 and updating some of the systems while making it more reliable. Like Mercedes has done on the G wagon since forever. The layout and dimensions of the LR3/4 is classic and cannot be improved upon.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see the dimensions of the new Wagoneer as it is the first thing to perk my ears/eyes up as an LR4 replacement once the wheels are off this one.
V8, check, 3 row, check, boxy with good interior volume? waiting on the check.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99