Defender 130 an LR4 replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I catch more and more videos of the new 110 off-road, it seems like it's two biggest strengths are the good approach and departure angles.

I'm assuming the 130 will have the butt stick out further, and that will hurt the departure angle.

I'm guessing most who would buy one don't care, but I would.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new defender 110 is tremendous off-road. Probably top two including wrangler off the lot. It’s just about 10% smaller cargo use than the lr4. With a family and a huge dog I need a little more than the lr4 with as much capability as is possible for such a large vehicle. There’s nothing close to decent off-road in a full size suv. aT4? z71? GLS?
Any LWB defender will beat all of those. And tow a ton too. I’d rather not have to get an Escalade.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing most who would buy one don't care
Very true. With the addition of a 130 model to the already numerous Defender 'variants' JLR would pretty much cover all of the market bases including the true 'third row seat' market (no interest to me) and cargo area closer to LR4 equivalent (interests me). This article's speculation that it would be one of the V8 Supercharged Models doesn't make a lot of sense. With the JLR website saying V8's will start at $97.2K for a 90 and $100.4K for a 110...so $110K+ for a 130?!
I'm guessing the 400 would be the mainstay, but wouldn't be surprised by a V8 model as well. Can't help but wonder what all of might portend for the future of the current Discovery.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In regard to interior space and cargo room, the D5 is a better replacement for an LR4 than the 110. The 110 has more front and rear leg room than an LR4 but the rear cargo area is about 30% smaller than the LR4. However, you can pack the rear cargo area to the headliner and flip the switch on the rear view mirror that activates the rear view camera on the roof and that image appears on the rear view mirror.

The 130 will be a better replacement for an LR4 with more cargo room. I still love our LR4 but our 110 simply drives better. No comparison when it comes to on-road handling and agility on a twisty road. Mine has the torque vectoring which certainly helps.

As for engines, no need for the V8. The P400 is more powerful than the LR4 V8. Sounds totally different, but paired with the 8-speed transmission it is plenty quick. Plus you can only get 22" wheels with the V8 since it has larger brakes. 22's would be useless offroad.

I bet many buyers that never go offroad will still buy a D5 for family hauling. Especially now that the D5 has the new front, new I6 engine, Pivi Pro, more AC vents, a shift lever and upgraded interior. Defender interior is very high quality, but clearly more rugged and less luxurious. Plus the Defender is really tall and little kids could have a hard time getting in & out. Thankfully I have not seen any Defenders with running boards yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
x2 on that. Test drove the 110 and liked it, but our Newfoundland wouldn't fit in the back so we went with the the D5. 130 sounds appealing for a possible next move some day, but at the size of a Yukon, I'm not too sure.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never. I will buy used V8 LR4s until I eventually crap out.

Entirely possible and I completely understand why. Just don't make the mistake I did and test drive a P400 Defender for 90 minutes. Suddenly "Never" becomes "Maybe". ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72