Defender 90 Lower Door Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rufty Tufty

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought my first Defender around a year ago now and at some point realised that the passenger footwell was wet whenever it rained (like most probably!).

Fast forward several months and I decided to eventually have a look at what was causing it. To cut a long story short I realised that water gets into the door (via the gaps either side of the door glass), flows through the door and out of the drainage holes then onto the rubber seal but instead of flowing outside it somehow flows inover. I removed the strip from the door bottom and hey presto, no water inside.

My questions are:

[1] I rarely go wading through water so does it make much difference keeping the strip on?

[2] Has anyone else had the same problem and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Looking at the rubber strip I don't see much wrong with it so maybe it is just a bad design fault.

I'm driving a 2014 MY car - not sure if that makes much difference although I did see somewhere that earlier cars had the strip fixed to the car rather than the door.

Cheers

Steve