Detailing Gurus Meguiars Scratch X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a few wheeling trips and buffing all of the tree branch scratches out of my black paint I am starting to ask myself... Self, is this going to end up eating away my clear coat?

The scratches on the sides of the truck are pretty minor, most of them buff right out. Some need a little more work than others. The Scratch X does have some abrasives. I am just wondering if I repeat that process on a regular basis if I will eventually damage the finish of the vehicle. I realize that the marks on the paint are a side effect of going off road and I am going to continue to wheel, but maybe I should leave them be for a while then do them all at one time.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on the Scratch X. But, from my experiences I like the Clay Bar solutions with a good solid polishing. If they are in the surface, the clay bar will solve a lot.

buddaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had to use a mild rubbing compound and a buffer and it still has plenty of clear coat left.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clay bar won't do anything to get out scuffs or scratches...it only cleans what's on the surface. Hell it will get other people's PAINT off of your car.

What I use is Zaino. It's show car polish and it's awesome. It's mild and I have no concern that using it over and over will harm my paint or finish. I don't know much about Scratch X but I think Zaino is more mild, just by the sound of it.

My rig is Black too and my favorite stuff in the Zaino line is their Z5.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I follow this "extra" cleaning routine twice a year, each Fall and Spring:

1) Wash
2) Claybar
3) Wash
4) Polishing compound applied with orbiter
5) Paint sealant (last longer than wax, and my LR3 is parked outside)

Primarily use Griots Garage products, but also have a few others. Just regular washes in between, maybe a mid-summer wax if needed. Also detail the interior twice per year (leather and carpets)

Now over 5 years old and looks great inside/out. This process has removed surface scratches which were picked up from driving offroad.

I would not worry about the Maguires product stripping your paint - you will know you are cutting into the finish if the polishing cloth starts becoming the color of your LR3.

Last edited:

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I follow this "extra" cleaning routine twice a year, each Fall and Spring:

1) Wash
2) Claybar
3) Wash
4) Polishing compound applied with orbiter
5) Paint sealant (last longer than wax, and my LR3 is parked outside)

Primarily use Griots Garage products, but also have a few others.

I do something very similar... I use the Classe sealant, which I've had good luck with.

I did notice that on my previous rigs, the Classe products worked great on the black trim as well. I tried some on the fenders, and it left a cloudy finish. After about 6 months, it is finally starting to wear off.

What sealant do you use?

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do something very similar... I use the Classe sealant, which I've had good luck with.

I did notice that on my previous rigs, the Classe products worked great on the black trim as well. I tried some on the fenders, and it left a cloudy finish. After about 6 months, it is finally starting to wear off.

What sealant do you use?
For the paint, I use Griots Paint Sealant.

For the black plastic trim, I use Poor Boys Trim Restorer

In general, you want to avoid getting any wax or sealant on the black trim, for the exact reason you discovered.

Last edited:

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the Scratch X does a pretty good job for something I can go find at any Target store, just wondering if anybody has ever had those kinds of products wear down their clear coat.

Ill give it a really good buffing with some of the good stuff after a couple more trails and when I have a long weekend.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM