Determined Disco Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
00 L/R Disco 2. Let me first say that I love this truck but lately I have been contemplating selling it. I am fairly mechanically inclined but dont have the foggiest idea where the crankshaft position sensor is located or a notion as to what it looks like.

The truck started cutting off while at an idle and after repetitive cranking would eventually start again. I dont have to mention how annoying that is in rush hour traffic. The check engine light illuminated and I scanned it and got a P0335 code. Crank shaft position sensor. I took the battery out and had it tested at the local auto parts store and it came back good. The closest dealership is 80 miles away and no local shops will work on it. I feel confident I could swap the sensor out myself (if indeed thats what it is), if only I knew where to look for it. I heard its on the drivers side by the bell housing where the engine meets the transmission, but what exactly am I looking for? Can anyone tell me if its bolted on the side and can be removed with a wrench or another tool?

It got to the point the truck wouldnt start at all until today. The battery was low from all of the cranking and I jumped it of my jetta and it started right up. I even drove it around my block a couple of times with no issues and parked it back in my driveway. Im scared to go any further though without further investigating the notorious "crankshaft position sensor" if I could find it. Driving it today reminded me of how much I love this truck and how I just want to fix it so I can enjoy driving it again.

Can anyone help me, please?

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common problem with our Rovers and usually won't throw a code.
Get a new crank sensor and you'll be fine.
These can be ordered thru some local auto parts stores and are fairly easy to install if you are a little mechanical.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
Thanks mike I will look into getting one today. After reading another thread I am assuming that the sensor is located on the driver side bell housing and has a little heat shield with 2 boltsh holding it in place...is this correct?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM