Differential Lube..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Stupidjeep

Crap! I just replaced the lube in the rear diff this afternoon. I haven't had the Disco long, and Im still trying to fix all the sorry maintenance from my previous owners. Chocolate milk! It was really bad. I haven't been off road much with her, and by looking at the undercarriage, the PO's hadn't either. 120K on the odo, how long do you think it has looked like this? Is there any way I can tell if there is serious wear or problems by looking at it? I dont know anything about backlash or what proper ring wear looks like. I'm really sorry all I had to put back in was Lucas, because I am going to change it again tomorrow. Oh well.. Thanks!

Chris--CB lift and MT/Rs

W

webbie

Chirs,
Had the same thing happen with Disco's rear diff when I came to check the fluids. It was the pinion seal that had gone replaced it all seems to be well now.

Drew

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to check your inner hub seals. If they leak allowing diff. oil into your bearings, the grease will dissolve and mix with your diff. oil making the oil look nasty. One look at your bearings will tell you. If you have no grease, chances are your seals are bad.

S

Stupidjeep

Thanks. The pinion seal "looks" good. I really need to tear that apart and check those inner seals out, too.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are people who run a "wet axle" setup with no inner hub seals. The diff grease and other lubricants all mix together and lube the whole thing. From what I've read, as long as you use the same stuff everywhere (90wt) it doesn't matter and may even have benefits.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chocolate milk? lol... I had green milk in my rear diff when I changed it the first time. Yuck... it stunk too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM