Disco II MAF Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrichards64

Reaction score
Progress report

Joey,
Thanks again for your help! I want to provide an update to my adventures in repairing my Disco... As I note above, I have changed plugs, wires, MAF, and air filter, all with the SES light still on. I pulled the codes with an ODBII scanner, and got some curious results, a couple of which were the same as above (P1171, P1174). So what I decided to do was to swap the new MAF purchased from British-Pacific with the old MAF to see what would happen. I cleared the codes, and wouldn't you know it, that after two days of driving it, with many restarts, the SES light is still off! In fact, it's running quite well! Yay! :proud: After going through all that crap, turns out that the original MAF seems to still be in good shape, and the new MAF causes my Disco to run roughly and throw codes. Any ideas as to why this could be the case? :confused: Do I have good cause to get my money back from British-Pacific, since I had the same issues (ran roughly, hesitates, throws codes) on BOTH of the new MAFs they sent me? I'm pretty sure the MAF they sent me is an aftermarket product. If I get the same codes again, should I just go ahead and buy the LR MAF? I hope that doesn't happen soon, but I'll deal with it when it happens.

Now onto the ABS shuttle valve.... Still can't figure out how to swap it out without causing chaos. I'm going to call a professional and see what I can get done...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
MAF, give them a call and see what they say.

Shuttle valve, if you were close to Cincinnati, I would help you change it, but since you are on the other coast it is hard to show you... PM me and I will give you my number, maybe I can talk you through it or at least give you pointers.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add a little info here on MAF's:

Mine eventually got just too old/dirty that even MAF cleaner could not keep it from popping codes so I replaced it with a relatively cheap aftermarket one and it has been working great. Unless you are feeling wealthy, you don't want to go with a genuine LR one right now as they are selling at nearly $1500.00 US - which is just plain silly for a piece of plastic with a wire-mesh and sensor in it. I talked to Brit-Atlantic about this and they agreed that the LR one's were just nutty in price but they said their hands were tied as the decrease in the USD against the Pound was responsible for the problem - along with a supply problem and an increase in basic Pound price from LR.

wolf

Joey,
Thanks again for your help! I want to provide an update to my adventures in repairing my Disco... As I note above, I have changed plugs, wires, MAF, and air filter, all with the SES light still on. I pulled the codes with an ODBII scanner, and got some curious results, a couple of which were the same as above (P1171, P1174). So what I decided to do was to swap the new MAF purchased from British-Pacific with the old MAF to see what would happen. I cleared the codes, and wouldn't you know it, that after two days of driving it, with many restarts, the SES light is still off! In fact, it's running quite well! Yay! :proud: After going through all that crap, turns out that the original MAF seems to still be in good shape, and the new MAF causes my Disco to run roughly and throw codes. Any ideas as to why this could be the case? :confused: Do I have good cause to get my money back from British-Pacific, since I had the same issues (ran roughly, hesitates, throws codes) on BOTH of the new MAFs they sent me? I'm pretty sure the MAF they sent me is an aftermarket product. If I get the same codes again, should I just go ahead and buy the LR MAF? I hope that doesn't happen soon, but I'll deal with it when it happens.

Now onto the ABS shuttle valve.... Still can't figure out how to swap it out without causing chaos. I'm going to call a professional and see what I can get done...

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scratch my price quote on the MAF - as that was for a Disco I - even genuine LR MAF's for the Disco II are way cheaper - below $300.00 USD. In this case, I would definetly go with an LR original/genuine MAF.

wolf

I have a 2000 Disco II with 117,000 miles on it. The Service Engine Soon light came on, and I troubleshooted it to the MAF, after pulling the following error codes:
  • P1171 - System too lean Bank 1
  • P1174 - System too lean Bank 2

I bought a new MAF and installed it, but after installing it, the engine ran roughly, and when I stepped on the accelerator, it hesitated. So I call the helpful guys at British Pacific and tell them there's something wrong with the MAF they sent me, and they sent me a new one. I installed the 2nd new one and I get the same problems! :mad: Is there anything downstream from the MAF that would cause the engine to run roughly and hesitate? Could it be the O2 sensors? Anything that I'm missing? Or am I just going to have to break down and take it to the LR dealership and let them run some diagnostics on it?

Any help is surely appreciated!!!

Jim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM