Discovery Problems :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z

z00100

Greetings,

This is my first post here, so please go easy on me.

I have a 2004 LR Discovery 7 Seater. Ever since i've owned the car, I haven't really had any major problems, but I've had "issues". Some of the issues I can deal with, some, I don't know.

For example, since about 1 year now, I can "hear" some sort of vibration in the car once the car is idling at a red light and the AC is turned on. If I turn off the AC then it goes away. I have figured out that this vibration is caused by the engine idling a bit higher and under load once the AC is on. The vibration sounds like 2 thick metal or plastic plates resonating against each other with the frequency of vibration of the engine. If I rev higher it goes away, only under idling does it appear.

Secondly I am facing some squeaking sounds from my front and rear suspension. Example: When I start the car in the morning (15C ambient temp), and drive away, I have to go over a speed **** near my house. If I drive fast enough so that the suspension has to compress and decompress a lot, I hear a grating sound. Sort of like as if 2 joints are not greased properly. This only happens in colder weather and dissapears if the suspension gets "warmed up" by driving a lot.

Thirdly, and this seems to be a major problem, is that my transmission jerks from first to second gear (I have an auto tranny). Shifts from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 are smooth, but 1 to 2 jerks. I thought this could be because of a cold transmission, but it happens most when the transmission is cold, but happens also intermittently after driving for a while.

I hope you guys can help me out, because I really like my Disco and want to keep it.

Also just out of curiosity is getting 380-420 per full tank normal for my Disco?

And another thing. I had to change my battery and the Radio is locked out and asking for a code. I tried putting in the code that came with the small tab with my Keys, but it doesn't work. I have already inputted it 7 times (wrongly) and I have read that the 12th time is the last time and that not even the manufacturer can "restore" it back to working condition.

Regards,

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first things first:
how many miles?
any modifications?
off-road alot?
how long have you owned the car/maintainence history?

item 1 - I have known some cars to develope this vibration when idling in drive with the AC on (after several years - 2 seems a little young)- of course if your hearing a sound possible a bracket is loose - (hence above questions)

item 2 - what type of suspension - (did the 04's have the air suspension?) - again something could be loose if you are hearing a clack when you approache the speed bump fast

item 3 - tranny - ug - you may want to have it looked at before it gets too bad - however I am certainly not the most knowledgeble on this forum - (what for more replies)

the radio thing - try contacting LR through customer support online with your vin - they seem to be pretty helpfull to me for recall items

Eekie

Reaction score
I also have an '04 Disco S (51K) and have the same exact things you have.

1.) Exhaust vibration might be loose cat guts or a heat shield. Start the truck, let it idle, chock the wheels and apply the ebrake (a rolling truck with you under it would F-up your day) and crawl uner the truck. Using a long screwdriver, push down on the heat shields and hold it against the cat. If its a sheild your pressure should stop it from vibrating and if it's the cat, you'll feel the screw driver vibrating in sync with the vibration noise in the cat. a spot weld or wire works wonders if it's a sheild

2.)The suspension creak might be shocks needing replaced. (see a recent thread that I posted a few days ago about the same thing) Mine does it over heavy bumbs in the road (ie speed bumps in parking lots).

3.) the tranny **** is more than likely because it's cold. When it's colder than 40 or 50 degrees in the morning I take it easy on the truck for the first 2 or 3 minutes on the road and let the tranny warm up a bit. After that It should shift fine from 1st to 2nd. Any vehicle that I had with a heavy duty drive train like the rover's were always hard shifters for a minute or two of driving until the tranny warmed up a bit. If it still jerks hard after a couple of minutes of driving or when the tranny is hot, get it checked....

Hope this helped a little.

B

backpain

How many miles are you getting per tank? If I touch 270 before the light comes on I'm happy. I recently sold my LR3 and am now driving the 2004 Disco SE7 all the time (what a difference - can you say sloooooooow steering?).

It's got the Trail 2 package, running boards and the BAB - Big Ass Bumper - up front. Rarely push over 3k on the tach and am generally under 70 in mixed driving.

Eekie

Reaction score
I can actually push about 300 out of a tank in my Disco but that is about the maximum. I try not to let her run below an 1/8 of a tank because you then run a chance of sucking dirt from the tank into the fuel system thus clogging up your fuel filter or worse yet getting a clogged injecter(s).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak