DIY Oil Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badrover

Reaction score
Question for those of you who are doing your own oil / filter changes...
Has anyone figured out how to reset the "Service Required" message?
Or does LR have us over a barrel on that one too.
I just completed my second oil change. 8.5 qts of Castrol SLX = $100.00
Filter = $54.00 And then if I've got to go to the dealer anyway to have the message
cleared....:mad:

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the SLX oil?

For oil filter I bought few from parts.com, Genuine stuff for like $35 each.

1badrover

Reaction score
The only place I can find the oil is at the dealership, the filter I've started getting from British parts of Utah for $34
For a while, mobil1 0-20w had the correct spification on it , but they took it off the newer bottles I've looked at. The dealership told me to keep the warranty..must use the SLX!

h8cold

Reaction score
anyone willing to make a vid or snap some pics of the oil changing process.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are places like Jiffy Lube or EZ Lube out of the question? That's where I've always taken my other cars

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mateored, I personally am always skeptical of places like that. Turn over rate is high, their pay is low and the sense of responsibility strikes me as lower. That being said, if you have had good luck with a certain place, and the price is right then go for it. I not let them put the standard oil in this truck though. It is a very advanced engine and it was designed for an equally advanced oil. Also, I would make a mark on the oil filter with a permanent marker or a knife just for peace of mind to confirm they are doing the job properly. I've had both a family member and a friend get taken at that type of shop. Just be alert and you are probably fine.

CMGRover, the slx is a synthetic oil that rates just OK according to this test. Personally I wouldn't call it special. It's just what Land Rover chose to use(I'm sure totally of their own accord haha) so that's what they say is needed for warranty. Just like chevy does with Mobil One. Many manufactures have a recommend oil. The argument has always been that even the best oil is much cheaper than a new engine. Well that's true but I believe some people get too carried away with that.

Unless you are building a very highly tuned racing engine, the use of super expensive oils just won't pay off. For our Rovers, I'd stick with synthetic for sure especially if you are planning on sticking to the recommended oil change intervals. However, no need to splurge on "gourmet" oils.

Check this out for info on oil in general just to increase your knowledge and also info on the Castrol SLX among other top brands. http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oils_against_oils.shtml

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mateored, I personally am always skeptical of places like that. Turn over rate is high, their pay is low and the sense of responsibility strikes me as lower. That being said, if you have had good luck with a certain place, and the price is right then go for it. I not let them put the standard oil in this truck though. It is a very advanced engine and it was designed for an equally advanced oil. Also, I would make a mark on the oil filter with a permanent marker or a knife just for peace of mind to confirm they are doing the job properly. I've had both a family member and a friend get taken at that type of shop. Just be alert and you are probably fine.
[/url]

That's all true. On the other hand, all they do is change oil, so they quickly become expert at it, and all of their equipment and the garage is designed to maximize the efficiency of the oil change process. I've had really good results with my local EZ Lube. I always use full synthetic. They used to use only Mobil 1, but they switched to Castrol.

The funny thing is, I was going to have the dealer do my first oil change last week when I brought the car in for other servicing. I've only got 6,000 miles, but I was convinced by another poster on this board to do the first change early due to initial engine friction/shavings. I asked the dealer to do it and to rotate the tires, but they said I didn't need it and didn't do it. I thought this was pretty surprising, since I was offering to pay for something and they declined. That left me a bit confused.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have to say that the "old school" train of thought when it comes to oil changes is truly a hard thing to shake. It just blows my mind, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, that an engine can be run for 15,000 miles without an oil change and it will be just fine. I find it hard to wrap my head around that! That being said, the technology going into these engines is astounding. I don't think it would do Land Rover any good to lie to us and then have to deal with thousands of destroyed engines in a few years. So I feel like it is most likely a legit claim. Especially for most of us who will mostly see city streets and highways. Having said that, I know for a fact that I'm still going to be itching for an oil change before I hit 15,000. It's just engrained in me!

neeko2112

Reaction score
I didnt see an answer to the original question about resetting the "Service Required" message. Can it be done without the dealer if I change my own oil?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99