Does the LR4 Require 2 Keys???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmwm51

Reaction score
My 2013 LR4 Lux is at the dealership getting the Body Control Module replaced. (The time and date would randomly change format.) The dealership called me and asked me to bring the second key to them as they need it to program the new BCM. I explained they have the only key I have for the vehicle.

The dealership is telling me I need to purchase an additional key, for $440, as the only way to program a new BCM is to have 2 keys present? Has anyone had experience with this? Does not seem to make sense to me.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's news to me as well, I think they just want to charge you for a second key. As far as I know, the second key (should you ever find it, new cars do indeed come with two fobs) will not work if it's not programmed into the new BCM with the other fob - but it's very easy to reprogram a used fob to the LR4 with a diagnostic tool anyway. I don't see what would prevent the dealer from programming just one key.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...my time and date change format as well. I've gotten accustomed to the 24 hour format so it hasn't bothered me in a while. Do you know if it was throwing any codes?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't have to have 2, they probably assume you want them.

I have 3, the number is arbitrary.

bmwm51

Reaction score
Quoted from an email sent this morning from the dealership to myself.

"I myself contacted Land Rover Orlando and spoke to a LR service advisor, Brian. He stated the vehicle does require 2 keys to program the BCM, as 2 of my other technicians stated as well. We do need an addition key to proceed."

bmwm51

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the $70 Land Rover key fobs that are listed on eBay, I am assuming from China?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any original, used fob from another LR4 (or 2010+ RRS / Evoque) will work and can be reprogrammed for your vehicle in about 20 seconds (obviously, the emergency key blade inside the fob won't work - but you wouldn't care about that), but I wonder if the dealer would accept that as a second key? Ask them, there are often used fobs for sale on eBay. Even the new / skinny style would work as a second key, as long as it's from a 2010+.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you need 2 keys and the BCM replacement may be wrong as well.

I have experienced the random date format change and change to military time. It was always after the LR4 sat for a day or two. Both times the battery died about a week later. Once a new battery was installed, the formats never changed.

Maybe it is a bad BCM but more likely you will be buying a new battery soon. Carry a Microstart XP-10 with you just in case the battery dies.

bmwm51

Reaction score
Battery was replaced recently. There was a TSB about the BCM. Ill see if I can find it.

bmwm51

Reaction score
Reference Models

Title Category Last modified Symptom Content

SSM61297

LR4 / L319
Range Rover / L322 Range Rover Sport / L320

Clock resets to default value 12.00am and date 01/01/2009 Electrical
24-Jan-2013 00:00:00
204000 Instrumentation

Issue: A customer may report that intermittently the Instrument Pack clock changes setting to read time12.00am and date 01/01/2009 or the time remains correct but switches between a 12hr /24hr format and vice versa when not requested or changes from MM/DD/YY// DD/MM/YY format and vice versa when not requested.

Cause: Body Control Module (BCM) intermittently resets to the default value. Action: Carry out the following steps:

1. Check that the concern is not as a result of intermittent low battery voltage by testing the battery and all power and earth connections. Rectify if necessary.

2. Check that the power and earth connections to the Body control Module have good continuity and correct readings. Rectify if necessary.

3. If no fault is found with steps 1 to 2, replace the Body Control Module if the vehicle is within the VIN range below.

Discovery/LR4 AA 528840–CA623748 Range Rover Sport AA 233855– CA749082

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72