Drivers window not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwakazaki

Reaction score
Only had LR4 5 weeks and driver’s window switch not working. Do the following symptoms ring a bell with anyone please?
Took the door card off and switch apart and nothing obvious.... in fact everything looks like it just came off the production line, perfect. No water damage no arcing, literally all looks perfect. Replaced aux battery cos I read these can mess with electronics when dead or dying and eco mode did not work, that fixed the start/stop, but not window. GAP diag tool indicates no window fault, only analogue clock fault. I can operate the driver window using GAP tool, so no motor issues. I can measure 8v on the supply wire to the switch....
Anyone know how to test this switch properly?
Note - drivers window switch shows no power (led), and does not operate anything at all, yet all windows work at the respective doors.
I know it looks pretty solid to be the switch, but I’d like a definitive test as it looks so perfect, nothing obvious at all, and that is not typical from what I’ve seen before. And the analog clock died at exactly the same time the window switch did.....
Any ideas anyone?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap window switches with a known good one from another door and see if the problem follows the switch.

Kwakazaki

Reaction score
Thanks Quijote,
This is the drivers door master, so there is only one. Not sure that the connectors on the other doors will be the same.
It’s only 3 wires into the master, so I assume.... permanent live, neutral, and signal wire... where the circuit board defines the signal for each switch position and that is fed back to an ecu for distribution. Only guessing based on what I’m seeing, have no idea where the ecu for this is, GAP is not telling me there is an error, and have no wiring diagrams to check anything.
If anyone can shed any more light on these systems, where I might be able to get experienced help, or wiring diagrams, or anything such, would be much appreciated.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Quijote,
This is the drivers door master, so there is only one. Not sure that the connectors on the other doors will be the same.
It’s only 3 wires into the master, so I assume.... permanent live, neutral, and signal wire... where the circuit board defines the signal for each switch position and that is fed back to an ecu for distribution. Only guessing based on what I’m seeing, have no idea where the ecu for this is, GAP is not telling me there is an error, and have no wiring diagrams to check anything.
If anyone can shed any more light on these systems, where I might be able to get experienced help, or wiring diagrams, or anything such, would be much appreciated.

I'm a mechanical engineer, not an EE, so you got me, but I cannot imagine the switches being different if it is indeed fed to an ECU. Nobody wants to have different part numbers and stock them unless absolutely necessary. You have 4 window switches on the drivers door. Are all 4 not the same? If they look the same externally, I'd swap two and try. It's just a contact and it's all low voltage. I can't imagine how anything could be damaged.

Then again, based on what you already know, right now it looks, quacks, and walks like a duck. I think your switch is bad. You have power, and you know you can move the window up and down. What else could it be?

Kwakazaki

Reaction score
Apologies.... I now see I forgot to add one crucially important piece of information.... duh!
The whole switch cluster seems dead.... all four window switches and the mirror adjustments.... everything dead.

Kwakazaki

Reaction score
I agree that it’s all pointing to the switch, but had one of these trucks for 7 years and experienced nothing like this. And internet searches are not uncovering anything similar either. So we looking to ensure others more competent and knowledgeable than me did not know more.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that it’s all pointing to the switch, but had one of these trucks for 7 years and experienced nothing like this. And internet searches are not uncovering anything similar either. So we looking to ensure others more competent and knowledgeable than me did not know more.

This is of no help, but my LR4 (which I ordered) has been virtually trouble-free. One of the few things to happen was the driver seat not moving forwards or backwards. Stuck frozen in my wife’s (Short) position less than two years after production. Dealer did not believe me and kept saying something must be stuck. Sure enough, nothing stuck. Something died/broke and they had to take apart the seat to fix it.

I doubt that failure mode would give back many hits. Sometimes things break.

Kwakazaki

Reaction score
Have heard of ECM and BCM, but never BECM... so maybe no.

I have a GAP diagnostic tool and have done a full fault scan of all ECU’s, but weirdly the window switch problem does not show up. Only a clock fault which appeared to happen at the same time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM