EAS Suspicion...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my 93 rangie back from the shop after an EAS diagnostic saying the computer could not determine vehicle speed. They cleared the code and the EAS is working smoothly now. EXCEPT...the there is a frequent buzzing of the compressor that makes me suspicious of something. This had been happening for a few months (I think, but I had other problems with the range rover that I was worrying about..) The guys at the shop said they recommended replacing the valve driver due to the fault code it was giving them. The compressor seems to buzz when i come to a stop from 5 anywhere to 10 seconds, and then the tank blows off some air. It seems to keep topping off the air tank. Is this normal? something to be concerned about? I know that none of the bags are leaky, 3 of the four have been replaced and the 4th bag i know is not leaky because I checked it with soapy water. Any thoughts?

P.S I was having some problems with erratic idle/stalling when coming to a stop...it has gone away after I gave the electrical plug to the MAF sensor a quick clean and disconnected/reconnected the battery. Now everything is working - no codes or anything. This is good but in the back of my mind I KNOW something will happen soon. Problem is i don't know what and when =P Ah, well, 'tis the life of a Range Rover owner...

D

davebl

sounds like your mounts are shot. if you leave your truck overnight does it sink any?

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, it holds air very well. If I leave it in standard height it will stay that way overnight

D

davebl

I bet you just have some worn mounts on the compressor. Check my link in my sig for replacements.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew...Ok so I just checked my workshop manual for any precautions for removing the compressor and whanot...it says to depressurize the system, disconnect negative battery lead, etc. Is this necessary? Can I just take off the cover of the unit, unscrew the compressor, and replace the mounts? I'm glad it may just be the mounts...what about the air relief from the tank when i stop, is that normal?

D

davebl

you might be able to do one mount at a time without unhooking the compressor, provided that is your problem.

do the bushing look worn?

DeeN

Reaction score
HELP! Mine Does!

At least it did for a few months... but now...it's undriveable.

It sits in the Load Cargo mode at all times. Trying to drive it-is like a Not fun e-ride at a carnival.

I've read the manual back and forth re: the Air Suspension- but I can't get it to go UP anymore.

This is my second RR- it is a '98 4.0 SE with 94K miles on it.

I am a girl-so please go easy on me re: technical words.

I am also, pretty broke.

ANY comments and suggestions will be SO appreciated! I have 1 more payment left-and I can't drive my beloved vehicle.

Sincerely;
Dee

sounds like your mounts are shot. if you leave your truck overnight does it sink any?

D

davebl

Dee,

You have a worn compressor. It can't pump up air to lift your car. You have two options... a new or rebuilt compressor ($300 - $500) or you can rebuild your compressor for about $45 bucks (if you just replace the teflon seal).

It's not difficult to rebuild it and we have complete instructions on our website.

Now for the bad news: compressors wear due to age or due to overuse from leaks. Most of the time we see leaky springs that cause a premature wearout of the compressor. I would rebuild it, then lookout for leaks.

I would encourage you to fix this quickly, as eventually you will hard fault your ECU and require it to be reset by us or a dealer.

You can follow my signature link for all of our products or guides. And feel free to email me if you need anymore help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM