Embarrassed by lack of 4x4 capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timtiedemann

Reaction score
Today at the Outer Banks in NC I was on the beach with my LR3. To get off of the beach and back onto the road required a slight hill climb in somewhat deep sand. I made 6 or 7 attempts to get up the slight incline. Each time the vehicle wound up spinning its tires. I tried it in all optional configurations. I was so embarrassed by this vehicles performance. As I was waiting to make another run at it I watched an older model Jeep Cherokee, Toyota FJ Cruiser and a Jeep Wranagler all make it up with ease. I would like to blame the LR3's lack of performance on the tires, but who knows. Anyone else feel the offroad performance is over rated?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you in 4-low, or did you keep it in 4-high ? Did you try disabling
DSC ?

Last edited:

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What duckdive said and did you "air down", put in off road height ,keep steady on the throttle ?? Mr. DSC is not your friend off road!!! :)

Where were you ......in 4x4 only area N of Corolla?? and LR3 performance over rated? I think NOT!

Cheers
John

Last edited by a moderator:

fire1427

Reaction score
I find airing down is a key ... too much air and the footprint sinks into the sand too much ... Correct air it'll float on top instead of sinking ... REMEMBER to air back up before you hit pavement ....

Also remember your LR3 outweighs those others by a good amount too

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take mine offroad in OBX quite a bit. The worst thing the LR3 has going for it is the weight. Air down the tires, don't stop on a hill, and you should be fine. I'm guessing that FJ is nice and light w/ big tires and probably doesn't have to air down at all unless its driving far.

It still was easier with my '99 Durango or Jimmy before that....didn't have to give anyone instructions for beach driving it, they could just take it out and not be an idiot about it. With the LR3, I'm a little more hesitent if someone else is behind the wheel (driving on the beach to pick me up, for instance.) Anyway, its all tied to weight and tire selection.

$.02

L

lr3junkie

timtiedemann said:
Today at the Outer Banks in NC I was on the beach with my LR3. To get off of the beach and back onto the road required a slight hill climb in somewhat deep sand. I made 6 or 7 attempts to get up the slight incline. Each time the vehicle wound up spinning its tires. I tried it in all optional configurations. I was so embarrassed by this vehicles performance. As I was waiting to make another run at it I watched an older model Jeep Cherokee, Toyota FJ Cruiser and a Jeep Wranagler all make it up with ease. I would like to blame the LR3's lack of performance on the tires, but who knows. Anyone else feel the offroad performance is over rated?

Have done the same trek in OBX a few times. The same happened to me the first time. Aired down to about 20 PSI, disabled the DSC and I was fine.

I think tires are a factor, I am still on the HP's, but not the only. I am wondering if the wheelbase of the LR3 has any factor. The trucks you mentioned above are much shorter.

timtiedemann

Reaction score
OK, I went out to the same spot on the beach today. I decided to disable the DSC and that's it. I found with the DSC out of the equation and the gas pedal to the floor it was fine. I believe the tires are a big problem in sand, mud or snow. I also think that the 4x4 selection knob for sand/snow, rock crawl, etc. is not really worth using. I want to have all 300 horse power to all four wheels when I need it.

This is my fourth Land rover (1996 Disco, 2001 Disco, 2004 Disco and now 2006 LR3). I have had all but the LR3 in many deep snow and mud situations. They were almost unstopable. I was just amazed at the LR3 in the sand. I guess with all the 4x4 options it takes time to figure out which one works the best for each individual situation.

Thanks for the input. I am definetely getting some more aggressive tires.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I went out to the same spot on the beach today. I decided to disable the DSC and that's it. I found with the DSC out of the equation and the gas pedal to the floor it was fine. I believe the tires are a big problem in sand, mud or snow. I also think that the 4x4 selection knob for sand/snow, rock crawl, etc. is not really worth using. I want to have all 300 horse power to all four wheels when I need it.

This is my fourth Land rover (1996 Disco, 2001 Disco, 2004 Disco and now 2006 LR3). I have had all but the LR3 in many deep snow and mud situations. They were almost unstopable. I was just amazed at the LR3 in the sand. I guess with all the 4x4 options it takes time to figure out which one works the best for each individual situation.

Thanks for the input. I am definitely getting some more aggressive tires.

Yeah, the stock Goodyears are really bad. I have a list of recommended tires here: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=46

I am glad you turned off DSC. I am not glad that you decided to rip on the LR3 here in this forum and to who knows how many other people without first reading your owners manual. The LR3 is a sophisticated peice of precision equipment. You should live up to it by understanding it better.

I help teach people about the LR3's capabilities, and will gladly answer any questions you might have. The Terrain Control works amazingly well, but you need to understand what it does. It does not manipulate your horsepower. It does adjust the throttle sensitivity (smart when on Ice, don't you think?), and the sensitivity of the traction control systems (for example, less sensitive in Sand and more sensitive in Rock Crawl), as well as control your electronic lockers (that your previous trucks never had) and the shift points and responsiveness in your tranny.

Read your manual, then ask your questions, and you are going to love my homework assignments!

Cheers,

Nathan Woods
www.nextstepdesigns.com

squarecircle

Reaction score
Lr-3 Off-road Capability

Greetings All,

As much as I may regret saying this >>>>>> I also am somewhat surprised by the lack of off-road capability this 2006 LR-3 has! It is a nice on road tool with light off roading but for the serious stuff my modded 1991 4 runner will leave this HI DOLLAR rig behind (NOT FOLLOW) when the going gets extremely difficult to cope with. Now >>>> Now I will spend some more money to get this thing (Winston) to work better off road or back on the market bloc it goes.. Does anybody on this forum know of some electrical HACKS to better control the rediculous factory suspension height settings???

1. Sure would be nice to get max ground clearance setting without banging
up the underside of the vehicle.

2. Sure would be nice to get this thing over 28 MPH in off road setting. This
is necessary on wash board roads in BAJA where you need at least 45 MPH
to stay on top to keep from beating you and your ride to death.

It is a great on the road and light duty off road but for $50,000 and its legendary prowess IMHO it falls short of what I thought I was purchasing >>> a 4x4 capable of going thru serious bad and challenging terrain.

Please understand >>> I like this ride but the 4x4 capabilities DO NOT cut it.
How do I improve the off roading of this open differential vehicle????????

Please help me save Winston!!

Regards, sq.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My modded Suzuki quad can put your toyota to shame! Modded 4x4's are more capable than stock ones? go figure...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635