Emissions Test Failed, Code Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just got back from the emissions test - failed.

Code thrown was P1317 which from the test facility states "Manufacturer Controlled Ignition System or Misfire". Looking up this code elsewhere shows it to be "ABS Rough Road Line Low Fault".

Anyone familiar with this code?

No other codes showed up.

99 Disco I, 96k miles. Plugs and wires changed recently (under 5K).

Reaction score
Nobody?

Wow, haven't posted much as all of my previous technical questions were answered by doing some searching and finding the answer already posted. Led me to think all the answers were available here :biggrin:

I'm thinking this may be due to a long term vacuum leak. My cruise control lines were cracked about 10 months ago and I finally replaced them. Cruise control worked once and then quit. Gonna check the vacuum lines in depth this weekend if I get the chance....

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emissions Test Failed, Code Issue

Code thrown was P1317 which from the test facility states "Manufacturer Controlled Ignition System or Misfire". Looking up this code elsewhere shows it to be "ABS Rough Road Line Low Fault".

The P1317 trouble code per LR’s diagnostics means Rough Road Line Low Fault . The rough road signal comes from the ABS system, and it points to a problem in the antilock brakes, most likely the wheel speed sensors. You need a shop with the specialized LR test system to diagnose that. OBD2 diagnostic equipment is useless here, and this is what your smog technician used.

This really shows the lack of experience of your smog technician. He’s not passing your car’s emission system due to a brake problem…….. WOW !!! I sure hope he didn’t charge you for his lack of experience. That’s the same thing as checking your brake fluid level for an engine miss. Good Grief ………. And to think there are doctors out there that are just like him.

What to do:

Don’t go back to the same smog technician. I would strongly recommend taking it to someone who works on Rovers, and has all the test equipment and know how, and preferably highly recommended by others. This doesn’t have to be a dealer, most of your better shops aren’t.

Good luck, let us know how it goes for you. Chongo

:bandit:

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that not passing a vehicle for a non-emissions issue is crap... I was told once by an emissions inspector that a "Check Engine" light is automatic emissions failure, even if it's not emissions related...

I would take Chongo's advice and have it checked out and cleared ASAP... Does your city offer a free re-check after repair???

Reaction score
Yeah, at least we get a free re-check (within 30 days, any longer than that and the State fines you :mad:).

But I still sent off an e-mail to the state emissions board Technical Department to have them look into it - the emissions test is wrongly calling the code a misfire :bootyshak. I'll have to see what comes from that.

Guess I'll have to make a trip to the Guilford dealership 30+ miles away.

Reaction score
Also, the ABS light is not on, kinda interesting given the code is an ABS fault. The ABS light comes on at start up and clears, then comes back and stays until 5-10 mph, just like it should.

Think I'll go to Autozone first and clear it, see if it come back.

Reaction score
This is the reply I received

Let me start off by thanking you for e-mailing your emissions problem to our customer support technicians. Your e-mail has been forwarded to me at the State of Connecticut DMV Emissions Division . I am an ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) Master Automotive Technician with a certification in Advanced Engine Performance. The code (P1317) your vehicle is experiencing is actually a miss-fire code tied in with the ABS system. Engine miss-fires will cause extensive damage to your catalytic converter and could cause a serious overheating and fire onboard your Land Rover. It is this reason that your OBD (On Board Diagnostics) system looks at all areas of possible miss-fire detection. When all cylinders are performing as necessary the crankshaft rotation is predictably smooth. In the event of a misfire this rotation is noticeably different. Many vehicles use the crankshaft sensor for this purpose and a rough road could trigger a miss-fire code. The bottom line is that a rough road detection could be mistaken for a miss-fire. This code is manufacturer specific that aids the computer in singling out a possible miss-fire cause.

Federal EPA guidelines dictate that any problem detected by the OBD system that could increase tailpipe emissions by 1.5 times the allowable limit a code is set and the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) will illuminate. Therefore you do have an emissions problem and must be addressed to pass our emissions test. If I can be of anymore assistance please feel free to contact me by e-mail or by phone at (203) 271-5410.

Thank You

Walt Bertotti

State of Connecticut DMV

Emissions Division

Guess I'll just take it to a local emissions place and have them replace the O2 sensors. That should cover the $660 I need to apply for a waiver.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got that same code a while ago when I was trying to force my 1997 Disco to accept some gimmicky plugs it did not like; once I changed the plugs back to NKG's - that code left for good. I have heard that even a 'soft' coil-pak can cause that particular code to come at you.

Reaction score
I got that same code a while ago when I was trying to force my 1997 Disco to accept some gimmicky plugs it did not like; once I changed the plugs back to NKG's - that code left for good. I have heard that even a 'soft' coil-pak can cause that particular code to come at you.

Interesting, I did put in Bosch Platinum 2's when I did the change about 3 months ago. Maybe I'll pick up a set of the NKG's and see if that clears.

Also found the passenger side PCV line suctioned flat last week, reset the PCV plastic insert, but as of this morning the code continues.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obd2

Also, the ABS light is not on, kinda interesting given the code is an ABS fault. The ABS light comes on at start up and clears, then comes back and stays until 5-10 mph, just like it should.

Think I'll go to Autozone first and clear it, see if it come back.

Hello Millermatt2003, If what you’re saying here that the ABS light comes on at start up and clears, then comes back and stays until 5-10 mph This isn’t normal, the light should stay off just after start up, and never come back on.

The ABS system does not control the ignition spark in your vehicle, neither does the OBD2 diagnostic equipment read your processors fault codes accurately, nor does OBD2 read Land rovers ABS systems. The protocol and communication baud rate between OBD2 and Land rovers processors are very different. Obd2 protocol can vary per tool, but none have adopted Land rovers true protocol. The standard protocols for OBD2 include: SAE J1850 PWM, SAE J1850 VPW, ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230 KWP2000 and ISO 15765 CAN. ISO 9141 is Land Rover’s protocol with a J1962 OBD2 connector. This is why when you use a OBD2 diagnostic system with this processor, you really only stand 20% at best for evaluation of the faults codes only pertaining to emissions systems only, from what I’m experiencing. And OBD2 has no reading of Land rovers other on board processor systems, i.e. ABS, TC, HDC, ACE, etc.

It might give you the right code, and definition, or it might not, or it will give you the opposite of what is meant. This is the problem I’m aware of with the OBD2 systems when used on Land Rovers. I personally have my trusty T-4 and just recently acquired a Autologic unit.

So in getting back with your code of P1317 OBD2 says that you have a miss, while Land rover says it is a ABS rough road line low fault.
But per your statement in this post,
The ABS light comes on at start up and clears, then comes back and stays until 5-10 mph, just like it should. Then this is more aligned with a ABS issue, It doesn’t suggest though you don’t have a miss issue as well. So the best thing to do at this point is to take it to a competent Shop that works on Land rovers and has the proper test equipment, and can get you an accurate and precise answer. Normally in prior post I have been able to convert the OBD2 codes over to LR’s codes, but in this case It’s next to impossible for anyone to diagnose this, there’s too many variables, But I am a believer in luck though.

Good luck…….. Chongo :bandit:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge