Epoxy Type Around Roof Rail Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhigham

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea of the type of epoxy/sealant around the recover bolts on the roof where the roof rail bolts screw into? My receiver bolt back out on rail removal and broke the sealant around?

Fortunately the receiver bolt has a bottom to prevent and water from getting in.

Just want to make a proper repair to prevent a leak. The rail is going back on.

thanks

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is it. It's probably loctite. Sealant wise, when I need it I use clear silicone. You can usually find it in a small tube in a boat store.

rhigham

Reaction score
More info

Here are some pictures for you. Its black. No locktite on the receiver bolts that I can tell however the roof rail bolts have a blue substance on the threads. Locktite? Are there different types?

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 19

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A marine store has a product called "life caulk". Never hardens and obviously meant to seal in a wet environment. I've used it on other automotive applications and it works well.

You could do a regular silicone, but it will fail over time just like what is on your house. But it should last long enough that you won't need to replace it too often, you'll just need to remember to check it every couple years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9