Extended mode, again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mwillems

While I was standing still doing nothing in a car park tonight, my one year old LR3 went into extended mode again. It does this with increasing frequency - at least once a week.

Another suspension error. The dealer says LR Canada has never heard of this problem and has no idea what it might be. Is that so? No-one else with the same issue?

H

Houm_WA

I've never been in Extended Mode...not even when I was stuck in the mud furiously spinning all 4 wheels.

Are you also getting suspension faults?...or are you just assigning this the term "suspension error" of your own accord?

I just had my '05 in for a suspension fault and I think this time they actually fixed it. They wound up changing the suspension control module. They'd found some moisture in there that may've shorted it out, so they sealed that baby up and buttoned it up nice 'n tight and sent me on my way. The reason I think it's fixed is because my synoptic display (the 4x4 info screen) is showing me different things (suspension related) than it was before, indicating that the cross-link valves are now working. It would take a while to explain the details, but I will if it interests you...

Good luck

R

roverdawg

mwillems said:
While I was standing still doing nothing in a car park tonight, my one year old LR3 went into extended mode again. It does this with increasing frequency - at least once a week.

Another suspension error. The dealer says LR Canada has never heard of this problem and has no idea what it might be. Is that so? No-one else with the same issue?

I've had the extended mode warning a couple of times. Once, while on a slight incline at a stop sign and another time while on a perfectly flat city street. The last time in, they worked on a connector and the extended problem hasn't recurred, but the suspension faults have continued. I've heard of others with the extended mode perhaps on the UK website?

Search my posts for my ongoing suspension woes. At this point I'm grasping at straws (kinda like the folks at Land Rover). It didn't rain today and voila no suspension fault. Of course it's been raining here nearly every day for the last month so, who knows. But then again, I didn't put my LR3 in access mode when I parked in my garage last night (I usually always do but determined I can squeeze by without it) so maybe that's why it's "working" today. Also, if I put it into "Off-road" height even once briefly, I can expect to get a suspension fault within 15 minutes.....but not today. Hmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Houm_WA

Dawg,

Have you tried taking your vehicle to LR while the amber fault is LIT? They told me that if it is in the failed-state, they can more easily diagnose the problem. ...not only did LR Seattle say this, but also the tech in LR Portland did as well when I was down there.

If I were you I'd schedule an appointment with them, generate a fault before you go in and leave it running when you park and instruct them not to cycle it off-and-on in case the fault "clears itself."

R

roverdawg

Houm,

Thanks. Definitely will be doing that when I bring it in next time (soon). The last time I was in for a suspension fault, LR's computer flagged my car for "extra attention" probably as it was the 3rd time in for the suspension. They reworked a connector but no luck, as I found out on the drive home.

M

mwillems

No fault light. It just goes into suspecned mode and raises, by itself. This means the car THINKS it is hitting the bottom and it tries to clear itself of any obstacle. It presumably means yet another height sensor or wiring problem...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99