extended warranty and mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KY Rover

Reaction score
It looks like my wife and I may order a Range Rover over the next year as her new DD. This presents the opportunity for me to inherit her 2012 LR4 as my new DD. I am excited about this proposition, but also a bit apprehensive as I've always driven a pickup truck. I spend a fair amount of my free time doing outdoors activities (mainly hunting, boating, and doing maintenance on some farm property), which is why I've always had a truck, but I think that realistically the LR4 can do everything I need with a few basic modifications.

I'm definitely planning on adding a roof rack and am leaning towards a voyager rack.

I am also tempted to get a set of 18" compomotives and the GAP iiD tool to be able to increase my choices of tires. However, this past summer we spent about $4k on a bumper to bumper extended warranty from Land Rover that gets us another 50k miles or 4 years. Currently it has around 57k miles, so we have a lot of miles left on the warranty. I'm fairly certain that adding larger tires and re-programming the suspension ride height could null and void the extended warranty for any suspension or drivetrain issues that I might encounter. Ultimately, I will probably check with my dealer before making any such changes, but I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience with this on their LR3 or LR4.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IIDTool will save all of your factory presets when you first configure it. As you play with the air suspension, you can save different "profiles" under your own settings. If you ever need to revert back to stock, it takes seconds. I always put everything back to the stock default on my truck before servicing.

That said, if you stick with the tire size recommendations found in the tire thread here you do not need to use IIDTool except when you are doing your off-roading. None of this should bother your warranty at all.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having similar mods (they really aren't mods when you think about it) I haven't had any problems with my dealerships for warranty work.
Also as mentioned by surfrider77 you can load the saved settings before going to the dealer.
Have fun.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of modifications on my 2013 LR4 and I never had any problems at the dealership. I think if you do roof racks, 18" wheels (Compomotives), even bumpers or skids, you will be fine. The one thing I have held off on doing is installing my long-range fuel tank, since it's a bit more of an extensive modification and I don't want any issues at 24,000 miles.

TXLR4

Reaction score
KY Rover, not to hijack...but who is your extended warranty through? I'll be in the market for one soon.

KY Rover

Reaction score
KY Rover, not to hijack...but who is your extended warranty through? I'll be in the market for one soon.

We bought it through the dealer. It's through Land Rover. I've heard some horror stories about extended warranties that were through third parties, not specific to LR though. It provides a good peace of mind.

shrinkboy

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I was bemoaning the cost of the extended warranty on my '11 a month ago, and how it was basically a scam... then an engine light came on and it paid for a timing chain, valve control motor and a bunch of attendant parts. Well over $6k in repairs and I wasn't out a dime.

So... I'm sure there's some pro/con for how much you'd be able to bank and dole out as needed for repairs vs having it covered through the extended warranty, but I'm relieved.

(bought the warranty through Land Rover Roaring Fork in Glenwood, CO - not sure of the who/what on it)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM