Factory Reset 2008 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lanmcint

Reaction score
I have searched the forum but nothing comes up which means it could be a stupid question.
But is there any way to just do a factory reset, as you do with your Tv or Amazon Fire? Clearing the codes is fine, but a clean sweep just seems better to me. I do have the Iland from British Atlantic, which obviously ok for some things.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have searched the forum but nothing comes up which means it could be a stupid question.
But is there any way to just do a factory reset, as you do with your Tv or Amazon Fire? Clearing the codes is fine, but a clean sweep just seems better to me. I do have the Iland from British Atlantic, which obviously ok for some things.

Never heard of a reset. Why do you think you need to have a reset?

Lanmcint

Reaction score
Have never restored your TV, wifi, Firestick to factory settings. I just think it would be a good idea to flush out 15 years of old codes, data, & stuff. Its called a fresh start

crImdoc

Reaction score
Have never restored your TV, wifi, Firestick to factory settings. I just think it would be a good idea to flush out 15 years of old codes, data, & stuff. Its called a fresh start
Yes. But it is not typically referred to as a reset.

1. Turn off engine, remove key.
2. Wait at least 120 seconds.... this is critical, I usually just wait 10 minutes.
3. Disconnect negative battery cable
4. Disconnect positive battery cable
5. Touch the two disconnected cables together, NOT THE BATTERY, THE ACTUAL CABLES ATTACHED TO THE TRUCK, for about 10 seconds.
6. Reconnect everything.
7. All codes are cleared, but keep in mind, this will not fix any underlying problems that caused the codes to begin with.
8. Give the truck a couple of days of driving to relearn before doing anything else.

Good luck!

d

Lanmcint

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have done that procedure in the past. It does do as you say; the Iland does something similar also.
I was hoping to clear everything and have software for "all" components restored/updated to ensure I have the latest versions for everything. The car is 14 yrs old and hasn't been to the dealer for years

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. But it is not typically referred to as a reset.

1. Turn off engine, remove key.
2. Wait at least 120 seconds.... this is critical, I usually just wait 10 minutes.
3. Disconnect negative battery cable
4. Disconnect positive battery cable
5. Touch the two disconnected cables together, NOT THE BATTERY, THE ACTUAL CABLES ATTACHED TO THE TRUCK, for about 10 seconds.
6. Reconnect everything.
7. All codes are cleared, but keep in mind, this will not fix any underlying problems that caused the codes to begin with.
8. Give the truck a couple of days of driving to relearn before doing anything else.

Good luck!

d

Wow! Nice info. Never knew you could do that.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have done that procedure in the past. It does do as you say; the Iland does something similar also.
I was hoping to clear everything and have software for "all" components restored/updated to ensure I have the latest versions for everything. The car is 14 yrs old and hasn't been to the dealer for years

If you try this, let us know how it goes with the reset and possible upgrades.

crImdoc

Reaction score
You will need to go to an indy LR shop or the dealer to have them reflash the ecu. This is expensive. Also, you can only reflash the ecu 14 times, after that it has to be replaced.

Doing this is unlikely to do much though. You could also flash the ecu with an aftermarket tune. vrtuned.com If I were about to spend $1,000 on a flash thats what I would do.

Call your closest dealer and ask how much to update ecu. Compare prices. Good luck.

d

BTW... I have a 2007 SC and have never updated it. Runs great. Everyday. Feel free to share your symptoms and maybe there is something cheaper that needs to be done.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will need to go to an indy LR shop or the dealer to have them reflash the ecu. This is expensive. Also, you can only reflash the ecu 14 times, after that it has to be replaced.

Doing this is unlikely to do much though. You could also flash the ecu with an aftermarket tune. vrtuned.com If I were about to spend $1,000 on a flash thats what I would do.

Call your closest dealer and ask how much to update ecu. Compare prices. Good luck.

d

BTW... I have a 2007 SC and have never updated it. Runs great. Everyday. Feel free to share your symptoms and maybe there is something cheaper that needs to be done.

I would do the same thing with a custom tuner like you said. Just more options with it.

Lanmcint

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. when I run iland and there are a dozen faults doesn't make sense; 202,564 and it runs like new with no problems; so of course, I want to mess with it.!!! I got my answer, thank you; no flashing!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72