Fan Clutch Not Working Properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlaskaKaz

Reaction score
Unplugged fan

I have not tried to find the relay yet, but after unplugging the fan it definitely doesn't engage all the time. So, it's clear to me that it's electronic, not mechanical. So now, is it the sensors IN the fan, or the signals coming TO the fan that are causing the fan to unnecessarily engage even when cold, and for long periods of time. Strange that it doesn't trip any codes...I'll keep trying.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, no codes

My theory as to why there are no codes is that the systems thinks all is fine and that the fan is doing what it is supposed to.

One might not confuse logic with what is correct, but the systems do.

AlaskaKaz

Reaction score
After running for a while w/o the fan plugged in at the fan shroud, I plugged it back in and of course the viscous fan is engaged and running all the time up to 4,000 RPM. So, I tried the IIDTool again...finally got a code.

Vehicle scanned on 20-03-2016 16:41
Using IIDTool BT V3.0 B2134

Engine Petrol

P0480-14 (2A) Fan 1 control circuit - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground or open

So, presumably the issue is somewhere in the fan itself.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would be nice it it was within the fan unit

A few years back I replaced the fan assembly as it for the most part, wanted to run only at full speed and not slow down.

For a year or so, there were no fan speed issues but then after some time, I would get the intermittent high speed for short periods seemingly related to humidity.

While I have always wondered as to the need to replace, I have since decided that installing a new fan unit was a correct solution and that the humidity? cycling concern is something additional.

As such, yes, you may as well replace the fan unit and hope that the fan was the problem because if not, then it does get difficult as that suggests wiring or something computer and or sensor related.

AlaskaKaz

Reaction score
So, to wrap this up. I ended up ordering and installing a new fan unit. Found a killer deal on an "unbranded" Behr fan via an online reseller, borrowed tools from a local auto parts store and in less than 1 hour - FIXED!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update appreciated

It is nice to hear how a problem was eventually resolved.

I am also pleased to hear that there is an aftermarket fan unit for less as the LR price is not much fun.

Again, thanks for the update.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99