Fault Overview/fixes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H

Houm_WA

I'd like to start a thread that summarizes faults; behaviors; attempted repairs; potential fixes. I want to do this because I've read about so many different "fixes" to the suspension fault and also because so many peoples' symptoms are different.

Here are my inputs:

1. Suspension Fault; happened only on uneven terrain and EAS still functioned but terrain response was inoperative; software upgrade did not fix; EAS Control Module replaced, water was found in the connector that may've shorted out the module. Fault has not re-occured but it has only been 2 weeks.

2. Transmission Fault; happened just sitting at a stoplight and HDC was unavailable. Many lights on such as ABS, suspension fault (also doubles as the ARM light) and "BRAKE" light. In 4x4 info center display, the "HDC!" gray-scale light was activated where the yellow HDC-symbol normally is;rear-differential replaced. I was informed that there were some faulty (locking) diff's in the supply-chain. Fault has not re-occured, it has been 4 days/250 miles.

3. Temperature error; NAV system displayed a message that said "Temperature Error-shutting down." It (and the stereo) then turned off and came back on after a I turned off the car and later started it again; no repair attempted, could not reproduce.

Who knows, maybe this information can help LR solve these issues.

H

Houm_WA

dawg,

I read this site. Very insightful, but doesn't quite capture what I'm attempting to do here. I partially want information myself...so that I can understand what's happening out there and to whom. Of course I also want LR to know about it (via EPQRs or whatever) but I'd also like to know myself in the event that I might encounter one of the specific issues seen on this forum or if I'm having a conversation with LRNA, it could help to decipher what they're saying.

I think we should all be so-informed...so...anyone want to report?

H

Houm_WA

Ok, so I take it nobody liked this idea (of summarizing)...maybe it was too much work. However, let me at least solicit feedback on this :

1. If you have gotten your suspension compressor replaced, can you please post whether or not your EAS was stuck in any one height-position?

My service department did not even think about swapping the compressor and I think that's because it appeared to be working fine (I could still go up and down, even with the fault light on).

One thing worth noting, when I spoke with them about the new compressor (as read about on this board), they indicated that the design hadn't really changed, at least not significantly. Rather, LR had gotten a new supplier and so the compressor also changed part numbers and such...if the compressor is different it's due to the supply change and not because there was anything wrong with the old one.

S

schafari

My compressor was replaced. My suspension was not stuck at one height.

R

roverdawg

My compressor was replaced as well (Land Rover Bellevue) and all was well for awhile. Suspension faults are back (they fixed a connector as well). Able to move the suspension up/down during a fault (most times, but only one click i.e from off-road to normal) both before and after the new compressor. Only difference is on the latest compressor, I'm able to reboot the system to clear the faults, though sometimes they'll come back right away. Before, a reboot did nothing. Land Rover admitted in the December LRO that there was a problem with some early build compressors. Well documented.

Houm, have you filled out the suspension survey at the UK site?
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=982&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You may want to ask them for the results which would categorize many LR3 owners problems with the suspension.

H

Houm_WA

Hmmmm....maybe I already have the new compressor (I have a fairly late build) or maybe I shouldn't worry about it because that doesn't seem to be the source of the problem, since dawg got his replaced but the faults came back. Dawg, the fact that you could still move up and down indicates to me that the compressor was not the problem, so I'm not surprised that they came back.

Schafari, I'd be really interested if yours come back...I don't believe that the compressor was the problem in your case, either.

I am still hopeful that the new EAS control module in my truck remains fault-free. I have been trying to trigger it lately and haven't been able to (knock on wood) so we'll see.

The transmission fault due to the rear-locker was a real harrowing one, but I was happy with the way LR treated the problem and the way they treated ME.

...either of you have the Heavy Duty package?

R

roverdawg

Houm,

I have the Heavy Duty package. Hoping I don't replicate your experience with the rear locker. I truly believe that my compressor was faulty, and that yours may be a new one. I did get the suspension 'raising slowly' messages too often, before the new compressor was installed. I took delivery of mine at the end of January 2005. There are a myriad of potential problems with the suspension system, thus the wide range of symptoms showing up. I'm on to the next suspension fault problem for my LR3 and this time it's something other than the compressor. I went a couple of months after the compressor was replaced before I got the next suspension fault. Pretty good, considering that I was getting them every day. This time, I believe it's a sensor as I'm also getting an occasional "extended mode-reset when clear of obstruction" message despite the fact that I'm on a flat, city street.

Read of one guy that's on his 3rd compressor, multiple connectors replaced, AND wiring loom, & sensor replaced and still the suspension faults have come back. So, I suppose I should consider myself lucky.

H

Houm_WA

dawg,

I wish you luck and a fault-free future. I think you're right that there are a multitude of fault sources. My suspension never gave me any "raising slowly" messages. I took delivery in mid-June so it was a later build but I'm not sure 'bout the compressor.

You'll know eventually about the rear locker...dude said it was about a 40% defect rate, so you have a chance.

Anyhow, Go Hawks !!

R

roverdawg

Thanks Houm,

I'll keep you posted regarding the suspension faults. 40% defect rate regarding the rear locker? Yikes, just what I need next, eh? It's barely discernible, but I think the faults are slightly reduced by letting my LR3 go through the check cycle before turning the key all the way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635