Only normal Height Available.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCopper

Reaction score
hi,
I have a LR4 2011 (238,000 kms), I am having issues with the suspension, a few weeks ago I changed the Air Compressor because it was faulty, after that the car was fine for a week then it gives the message "suspension fault" when I am driving the car, but I could raise and lower the suspension.

Last night I parked the car in normal height, and in the morning the front suspension was down to access height, the rear suspension was still at normal height.

When I start the car it throws a message to reselect suspension height, and when I select normal height, it throws message " Vehicle Raising in Progress" two or three times, but the front suspension does not raise at all. Then it displays the message "Only Normal Height Available" for one second and then another message "Suspension Fault".

I noticed that the Front Passenger side is 4cms lower than the Driver's side, and while raising the vehicle the driver's side suspension raises 3cms but the Passenger side does not raise at all.

After displaying the errors the suspension selection button lights are gone. cannot reselect suspension.

If I try to drive, the front part of the car is jumping up and down. So i cannot drive.

Can anyone help Identify the problem.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The workshop manual clearly describes the investigative procedure for the suspension. The air suspension system is certainly more complicated than springs and struts.
Ride height is a function of air pressure and ride height sensor.
Front and rear air pressures are regulated by independent valve blocks.
Entire system pressure regulated by central valve block.
And this all of course assumes there are no air leaks and the pump operates properly.

In summary, I would do as the workshop manual describes
1 confirm faults codes
2 confirm no leaks
3 confirm front valve block operations as its the front thats dropping…. suspension should not drop on its own.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you really need a code reader like an IID tool to properly diagnose air suspension. Don’t randomly throw parts at it.

Why was the compressor replaced and was it replaced with an OE part?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really sounds like an issue with the front valve block (or air lines or air springs). I'd start with removing the passenger side front fender liner so you can access the valve block, then spray it with a bunch of soapy water and see if you get bubbles from one of the VOSS fittings. If not there, spray the strut top (where the air line enters) and watch for bubbles. You could have a leak at the compressor fittings too, so remove the compressor cover and spray soapy water on all the air line fittings, and check for bubbles.

I don't know that you need a code reader if you have such clear evidence of a leak. The driver's side front raising would indicate that the compressor is somewhat working.

ugmw177

Reaction score
probably a leak. best as other say, use Gap tool to diagnose but iff you do not have one, you can start by pulling the fuse for the EAS and let sit overnight. see if both front sides drop. You can also spray fairy soap solution on all of the jusnctions, the bags and the resovoir. look for bubblling indicating leaks. I would expect that old compressor burned out from trying to overecome a leak.

MRLR4

Reaction score
Yeah you really need a code reader like an IID tool to properly diagnose air suspension. Don’t randomly throw parts at it.

Why was the compressor replaced and was it
Or throw all the parts at it in order, starting with the passenger front air spring (or check for leaks), front valve block, then the center, then the rear, then another pump. Eventually....

FWIW, a Launch Creader Elite JLR should also get all the necessary codes read. Properly read my car. Still a handful left on eBay. Not as user friendly as an IID, but basically as functional for diag and 1/4 or less the price.

Last edited:

BlueCopper

Reaction score
UPDATE : last night I started the car and the suspension worked fine, I raised it to Offroad Height and it worked perfectly, Drove the car for a while and no error messages. Then parked the car at normal height and pulled out the Fuse 20A, and left it overnight. In the morning I checked to find the front suspension lowered, even without the fuse. Both front left and right side equally lowered.

I need to get and IID Tool, but I'm guessing it's the front valve block that's causing the issue.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to spray the front valve block with soapy water, to check for air leaks. Do this while the suspension is at the normal ride height.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, was the compressor replaced with the correct type; so these vehicles can have either a Hitachi or AMK compressor, typically AMK came in 2012 and later (I think this was the transition date). You need to know that the RLM Module (the computer dedicated to the suspension) is flashed for the correct compressor.

"Last night I parked the car in normal height, and in the morning the front suspension was down to access height, the rear suspension was still at normal height."

This implies there's an issue with the front valve block (it's inside the passenger side wheel arch). The way this valve operates allows for the front of the vehicle to be raised or either side to be raised individually (there are three valves, air in, left and right). The fact that the whole front is down is weird unless you have a leaky valve overall? The compressor has a desiccant beads that are used to dry the compressed air; over time these beads can break down to a fine powder; it is typically this fine powder that the interferes with the three valves. Given when you raise the vehicle the passenger side is not really behaving this could imply a leak in the passenger side airspring; or the pipe that connects the valve block to the airspring or potentially an issue with the valve or there's a ride height sensor that's sending a faulty signal... I'd be looking at that front passenger side first.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to spray the front valve block with soapy water, to check for air leaks. Do this while the suspension is at the normal ride height.
The front valve block is quite easy to remove, clean and install new seals. I'd be inclined to also spray soapy water on the airspring. It certainly appears you have a leak given the fuse removal. There's been some issues with valve replacement kits; I'll send you a link shortly to the ones that I used that seem to be going strong.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72