Front windows dead - anybody knows CPR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reseating=pulling the electrical connectors apart (check for bent pins or corrosion) and then put them back together.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow.. If this fails, what am I looking at to replace BCU? Price, etc?
Also, my alarm or central door locking has never worked since I purchased. This may have something to do with it as well?

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I never did mention that I have a 95 D1..
Do you have any info on this? Would it be the same BCU prob?

Thanks again

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have watched this thread, haven't posted because I was not sure... my question is have you tried to hot wire the window motors to see if they are bad?

It would be a long shot since you are talking both motors, but I have heard of weirder things happening....

Remember a) this is a Rover, and b) it has Lucas Electrics.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I was giving you directions for a Discovery II based on the beginings of this thread. I have no experience with the Discovery I nor any of the service manuals. Nevertheless, Land Rover seems to make evolutionary changes instead of sweeping changes, so you could still look to see if there is a "Body Control Unit" in your 95' and work backwards from there. Carefully go through the fuses under the steering wheel and in the engine compartment....you could even pull each fuse and check it for continuity to see if they really are good (I've had fuses blow before that looked fine to the ***** eye.

Consider it logically. Both front windows went at the same time....unless it is just dumb coincidence, you've either blown a fuse or fried a control unit.

memo

Reaction score
The body control unit is behind the passenger's glovebox....it controls wipers/exterior lights/alarm system/door locks/windows and sunroof motors/and window heaters.

To remove the BCU, take out the four screws from the glovebox hinges and remove the glovebox (which will expose the closing panel). Remove the closing panel by popping the 4 "fixings" loose and pulling the panel down. Disconnect the 5 multiplugs from the BCU, the nut and bolt securing it to the bracket, and remove the BCU.

Before you do this, are your rear windows and sunroof working? They don't work through the BCU like the front windows do, so if they work but the front windows don't work, the BCU might be the culprit. Were the front windows working and then just suddenly stopped, or did they fail at different times. If they quit at the sametime...fuse or BCU.

I imagine you already checked the fusebox under the dash. In position 34, is the 30amp fuse for the front windows. I would pull it, and try another fuse. Under the hood is another block of fuses next to the coolant tank. Position #13 is the BCU 10amp fuse. Pull it and reseat it:)

If you do decide to wrench your way to the BCU, you might try reseating the connectors before purchasing a replacement.

Hi.. just wanted to say that i had this problem today.. my front windows suddenly stop working.. the fuse 34 was broken.. i replaced.. then the passenger window worked and i close it.. when i tried to closed the driver window the fuse broke again for 3 times.. i dismounted everything from the door.. and then i came and look for an answer.. and this helped.. i just went and removed fuse 13 from the fuses next to the coolant.. and place it again.. and the window is now working... thanks... !!!!

Next i need to find out how to fix my air conditioning.. blower not working..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM