2016 LR4 Dead... need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it when I charge my battery, it feels good. Its been a couple months since I've laid a good charge on it. I've got a 60 amp charger for it and let the algorithm do its thing over a 1/2 day or so and then it rests at about 13.6V. I tried the battery tender jr and that thing is a pile and a waste for what I need unless the use case is less than like an amp. The battery tender jr doesn't have any balls at all to move the needle. The one I bought charges a custom DIY LIFEPO4 battery pack too, its targeted to the RV market.

1hiAewN.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh careful. Rapid charging can cause off gassing and explosions.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I do not use a maintainer on any of my vehicles, thus cannot agree; The generator does keep the good battery sufficiently topped up.
I only use the charger if working on the vehicle.

@powershift, are you certain that after 6 hours the battery still rests at 13.5v?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I do not use a maintainer on any of my vehicles, thus cannot agree; The generator does keep the good battery sufficiently topped up.

@powershift, are you certain that after 6 hours the battery still rests at 13.5v?
No, it might be faster but that is how long I have the charger on. I've never timed it, but I do walk up to it with a volt meter to measure it. I was thinking about mounting a volt meter on the outside of the box.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't believe your other vehicles listed have smart alternators while the LR4 does (in an effort to improve FI). My LR3 is fine but the LR4 if subjected to short trips with heavy e-loads (windshield, 2-4 heated seats, heated steering wheel) does not keep the battery at 100%. It will eventually get there on long trips but she is no LR3. A stupid decision by Land Rover to improve fuel economy 0.0001%. Almost as stupid as the move to the V6SC but I digress.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We bought our lr4 in 2017 with a battery of unknown age. It died in 2023, a good run in my book. Many short trips, left parked for weeks on end. It is our family road trip vehicle so does occasionally go on many hour trips. Charging system seems OK to me.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The owner's manual explicitly states how long the vehicle should be driven in order to maintain a full charged battery.
True @ktm525 ... but that doesn't negate the fact that I have no issues with the LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635