Front windows dead - anybody knows CPR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z

zunni

Hi,

I have a great '99 Discovery II and it has been working great for the 5 years I've had it.
I live in Iceland and with the conditions here it's great.
However I have a little problem with it now. Suddenly both the front windows went dead. A garage changed the fuse and it was ok for a couple of days and then again they went dead again.

Could there be anything else wrong?

Best
Gunnar

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you mean that the window won't move and the window motor doesn't run?

Did the same fuse blow again?

Z

zunni

Thats right - the windows don't move and the motor doesn't start. There is a low click underneath the glove compartment though.

I'm not sure if the same fuse cracked but I'm asking so the mechanics don't have to look for alternative if it hasn't.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the window relay is trying to work. I'd check the same fuse again, and if not that you may have a burned out motor.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the outcome on the front windows?
My fronts just stopped working, the ECU is new, fuses are good.

Thanks

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you do to fix the front windows????
Im having the same problem.
Thanks

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuse #34 or BCU

Both front windows going at the same time could be fuse #34 (30a) or the BCU. The BCU (body control unit) has total control over the front windows...it controls the voltage, one-touch down, and stall condition.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the BCU located and what may I do to test or replace it?

Thanks

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body Control Unit

The body control unit is behind the passenger's glovebox....it controls wipers/exterior lights/alarm system/door locks/windows and sunroof motors/and window heaters.

To remove the BCU, take out the four screws from the glovebox hinges and remove the glovebox (which will expose the closing panel). Remove the closing panel by popping the 4 "fixings" loose and pulling the panel down. Disconnect the 5 multiplugs from the BCU, the nut and bolt securing it to the bracket, and remove the BCU.

Before you do this, are your rear windows and sunroof working? They don't work through the BCU like the front windows do, so if they work but the front windows don't work, the BCU might be the culprit. Were the front windows working and then just suddenly stopped, or did they fail at different times. If they quit at the sametime...fuse or BCU.

I imagine you already checked the fusebox under the dash. In position 34, is the 30amp fuse for the front windows. I would pull it, and try another fuse. Under the hood is another block of fuses next to the coolant tank. Position #13 is the BCU 10amp fuse. Pull it and reseat it:)

If you do decide to wrench your way to the BCU, you might try reseating the connectors before purchasing a replacement.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front windows just stopped working at the same time and rear/sunroofs work perfect.

What do you mean by reseating?

Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM