Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markdrm1

Reaction score
Hey all.:hmpf:

I went to crank the 99 diso and in wouldn't start. Its turning over just fine, just not getting gas, I think. I tried spraying starer fluid into the intake while turning over the engine and it fired up. Also, I tried changing the fuel filter, but no remedy there. I cannot hear the fuel pump run when I turn on the switch either. I feel like its the pump but i just want some input before I shell out 4 or 5 hundred on a new one. Anyone experienced with this?

Thanks,

Mark

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
regarding fuel pump

Just replaced mine on a 97 Disc 1 se7. The fuel pump I got was from Auto zone part number MASTER E3270. I beleive this will work also in yours it was only $85.00. Before you replace it make sure it is not the pump fuse. To replace the pump is simple just pull back the carpet in the luggage area and remove the service panel I beleive six bolts. You will have to replace the pump it self in it's housing. Real easy and that way you don't have to drain the tank. REMEMBER disconect the battery before you do any of this. good luck

markdrm1

Reaction score
I bought the pump and have remove the carpet, cover, fuel lines and elec hook ups.
Having some trouble getting the securing ring off. I have a metal one with notches all around it. I have tapped firmly with a srewdriver and hammer all around the ring to free it up, but it will not budge. Im affraid to hit it too hard in fear of damaging the tank or blowing myself up.

Any advice?

Mark

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strap Wrench

Yes. Landrover actually makes a special tool for this that will cost you. Or just go to a local hardware store and pick up a strap wrench. The wrench itself is used for plumbing but will do the same for you and cost alooooooot less. Around here about $10.00. Also Catipiller d-9 air pump wrench will do the same.

R

RDISCOVERY

I Have A 98- Same Thing Happened A Month Ago, Thought It Was The Fuel Pump Too, Got A Diagnostic, And Sure Enough It Was..they Wanted To Charge $700 For The Piece At The Dealer, I Went To Yahoo Search, Put In Land Rover Discovery Fuel Pump Assemble Unit - I Got It On Sale For 320.00, Youll Need The Fuel Pump Assembly Kit, Along With The 4 Nuts (.50-12.50ea)& The Fuel Pump Sealer (13.00) And A Fuel Filter Which U Have Already. Might B Cheaper 4 U Being U Have A 1997 (non-evaperated System) Saw It For Like 200 **good Luck!

R

RDISCOVERY

Saw Your Other Replies, I Did The Same, Went To Auto Zone Got The Pump, But When I Brought It In They Said I Needed The Whole Assembly Unit. Not Just The Fuel Pump (the Kit Comes With Everything)

markdrm1

Reaction score
Not much luck getting the lid off. I tried the strap wrench but the angle is all wrong. I just can't get a grip on it. Ive even tried using a big screw driver and a sledge. This thing will not budge! Any other sugestions?

MD

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
removal tool

Well you must have a monster seal. The next thing I would recommend is using the landrover tool I mentioned in a pre post. The tool itself you can get from a Landrover dealer part # LST131 or LRT-19-001 it is called a Fuel Pump Remover. Not sure of the cost. Man you must have a duesy. It was not that hard to remove mine. I'm not sure if that seal is a right or left hand thread. If I remember correctly I had to turn it right to loosen. Left to tighten? Plus mine was a neosyprene screw not metal. Good luck

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel pump assembly unit

Also on mine I didn't need the whole assembly unit sounds like the Zone was trying to get a little more money out of you. The only other thing that you will need for the awsome warrenty is a new pump filter. The assembly unit is just 3 snap hinges at the bottom of the cap. Just pry the snap hinges back and the cap fall off. Then just remove the plastic plunger fuel line. Put new or old pump filter on. Recommend new pump filter just so you don't have to go threw this again Replace pump. Reconnect cap put assembly back into tank. Reconnect right fuel lines in/out and power. That should be it.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel Pump Emergency Shut off

Just thought I would mention that there are a couple of things that can cause no fuel...

1. There is a Fuel Pump shut-off switch on the fiirewall, passenger's side. An accidet or good bump can cause it to cut power.

2 . There are some fuses to check:
The underhood fusebox has a 30amp fuse in position 1 for the Injectors. In position 10 is another 30amp fuse for the Fuel Pump.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cummins