Future LR Models in US

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the new design theme is far more derivative and not my cup of tea either. However, after seeing them on the street for a while I am kinda getting used to the new Sport (I still can't always tell it apart from an Evoque from a distance) and I am starting to dig the classy and less controversial lines of the MkIV Range Rover. I still think the Classic and Defender are the two designs that transcend age and time among all of Land Rover's models, and will still look sharp in 20 years. The Evoque looks dated already - to my eyes.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the new design theme is far more derivative and not my cup of tea either. However, after seeing them on the street for a while I am kinda getting used to the new Sport (I still can't always tell it apart from an Evoque from a distance) and I am starting to dig the classy and less controversial lines of the MkIV Range Rover. I still think the Classic and Defender are the two designs that transcend age and time among all of Land Rover's models, and will still look sharp in 20 years. The Evoque looks dated already - to my eyes.

This is an interesting point. In 15 or 20 years (or even 10 years) will we look back at the 2015 Discovery Sport as a classic? For that matter, will we look back at the LR3 or LR4 as "classics"? Which of the designs will transcend age? Or will the Discovery Sport mark a decline into "homogeneity" and a loss of a unique identity.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless there's some major advancement in how cars are build (I'm hopping for a flying one but will settle for a self driving google car for the daily commute) I don't see many cars going into the classic group. Do you consider a ford explorer a classic? Jeep Cherokee?

aj22

Reaction score
The only way the LR4 compares to the GL is by way of interior cargo volume. They are even not on the same page in terms of luxury features (GL wins by far) or 4x4 capability (LR by far)

The Discovery "Sport" which will be a tighter package will, and should, be the competitor for the X5 but again, it won't even come close in terms of the available features/options. So in that sense, it won't compete equally except for those buyers looking at mostly base model builds and purely size and driving feel comparisons.

I too hope that the larger/standard Discovery model will retain if not increase, some of the utilitarian features and the same or larger cargo volume, not just in length or width but also the height.

Is the GL that nice? Never actually drove one, when I went to take a look, I just didn't like it at all, so didn't bother to test drive. I guess I should've, maybe I'll go one day when I'm bored.

And I didn't even consider the X5 - with 3 kids and a large dog, I just thought it was too small, it doesn't fit us at all. I get why Rover wants to go after the X5 market, BMW sells a ton of them. I just don't think the LR4 is that vehicle.

aj22

Reaction score
This is an interesting point. In 15 or 20 years (or even 10 years) will we look back at the 2015 Discovery Sport as a classic? For that matter, will we look back at the LR3 or LR4 as "classics"? Which of the designs will transcend age? Or will the Discovery Sport mark a decline into "homogeneity" and a loss of a unique identity.

I think the LR3 and LR4 will stand the test of time, I like the look a lot. I actually like the look of the Evoque too, I just don't want the whole family to go that route.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the LR3 and LR4 will stand the test of time, I like the look a lot. I actually like the look of the Evoque too, I just don't want the whole family to go that route.
Agreed. The Evoque seems to take a lot of abuse but I think it is a sharp looking car. The price of it and where it fits into the LR/RR family doesn't make any sense, but as a stand-alone it's not bad. I'd pay $30K for it! :rofl:

They are clearly going in a different direction now and it doesn't make sense to me...they are also taking soooooo long to do it. If they just chugged along and then "BAM, here's your new LR6!" That would be fine...but we've gone through years of LR4/Discover/Defender rumors and they seem to be going more towards luxury soccer moms and away from utilitarian. :hmmmm2:

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way the LR4 compares to the GL is by way of interior cargo volume. They are even not on the same page in terms of luxury features (GL wins by far) or 4x4 capability (LR by far)

Very true. I have a 2012 LUX and a 2014 GL 450. I like the looks of the LR4 better, but the GL is a superior vehicle. Ride, comfort, engine, etc... it all goes to the GL. Off road, the LR4 would likely be better unless you get the off road package for the GL. Then you'd be pretty close again. The standard GL will raise vehicle height, but maybe not as much as the LR4.

The GL is MUCH quicker and faster. I like driving both and so does my wife. We agree that they are both some of the nicest vehicles we've had.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true. I have a 2012 LUX and a 2014 GL 450. I like the looks of the LR4 better, but the GL is a superior vehicle. Ride, comfort, engine, etc... it all goes to the GL. Off road, the LR4 would likely be better unless you get the off road package for the GL. Then you'd be pretty close again. The standard GL will raise vehicle height, but maybe not as much as the LR4.

The GL is MUCH quicker and faster. I like driving both and so does my wife. We agree that they are both some of the nicest vehicles we've had.

I agree mostly, but I thought I would make a few comments.
The ride of the LR4 is good but it doesn't match that of the GL. I think of the GL almost as a lifted S-classe. Both have good engines,I have not driven an LR4 or a GL 450 with a V-6 though, neither the LR4-SCV6 or the GL450-TV6, I can only speak to the V-8s that they both previously had. Off-road the LR4 wins hands down. No competition there. As far as quickness goes, on paper the GL 450 is slightly quicker but when driving the two I don't feel it's noticeable. Both are plenty quick for what they are.

I think the GL is a great vehicle and we've considered getting one multiple times, but I think it's a completely different vehicle than the LR4. I don't really think there is a vehicle that directly competes with the LR4.

With the direction that Land Rover is moving, as of late, I think I am going to keep our LR4 for a long time. We(especially I) really like it, I think its a near perfect blend of off-road capability, utility and luxury and ours has been very reliable, far more so than the Lexus GX it replaced. The wife will probably get a GL or an LX to replace the LR4 as the "family transport vehicle". The LR4 will be used as my weekend vehicle and I will probably drive it to the office, on occasion. I just can't trade it in because I like it so much and I am afraid it's going to be the last of an iconic breed.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has been quiet for a while.
Has anyone heard new rumors/news/stories on the "Discover 5" (Discover Vision concept?) and what they are talking about releasing?

I just hope whatever they make comes in a "Sport" (less glitzy) version and in a nice Tonga Green. :biggrin:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(This is all my own speculation)

I think the new Discovery will be swung even further upscale and compromise it's off-roadability / modification. I think the new upcoming Defender will be more in line with what we are looking for in terms of off-road use.

Shame the timescales on these two vehicles are so far out. The Discovery needs to go on a massive diet!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72