Gas door security

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to secure my fuel hatch on an 05 LR3 HSE? Im surprised that it didnt come with a release from within the truck..and in today's gas prices.....

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is going to be a reasonable way to secure the lid, how about a locking gas cap?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it not lock with the vehicle? I haven't tried, but I assumed that when the doors where locked, the latch was also locked....

I actually like our old Freelander's feature - the gas cap could only be removed by inserting the driver's key into the cap and turning the key to open the cap - I'm pretty sure this could be retrofitted since the cap could be completely seperated from the vehicle, however I'm not sure how you'd key the lock to the LR3 key - or if the LR3 key is strong enough.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the door does not lock in North America.

As it's siphon proof, is there really a need for door security? It would only block 'casual' vandalism... which would be pretty rare, in my opinion. (If someone is going to try to pour something foreign in there, a flimsy door isn't going to stop them.)

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As grommet said it does not lock on the NA models.

However it is NOT siphon proof. We had our gas door pried open (the theives were too dumb to figure out you just push in on the door to release the catch) and 1/2 a tank of gas siphoned out of the tank.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to siphon with a traditional tube, so I assumed it was siphon proof... but I didn't try very hard. Looks like I was wrong...

Anyway, as the previous post proves... a locking door doesn't stop real fuel thieves, either... they just break it.

Even though... I do think it was a silly decision to exclude the locking mechanism in the United States even with our relatively "cheap" gas.

Last edited:

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.. I guess if I look hard enough, there should be some OEM lockable gas cap.
I find it funny that for a car that can do almost anything, something as simple as a locking mechanism from within the vehicle was not included.. but I still love my ride anyways!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72