Gas mileage: report your real world numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gregorio

Reaction score
Well I keep resetting trip A to see if it changes. I only have 1500 miles total on it. The average speed is about 8~10 miles also.

8-10 MPH average speed? Wow, that's slow! I think our city driving averages about 25-28 MPH.

bpm

Reaction score
It takes the average speed from when you start the car so red lights and stop signs are 0 mph. 25 avg must be your combined with highway.

Gregorio

Reaction score
Yeah, I reset it when I fill up each time and before long trips. Highway averages are from SF Bay Area to SoCal via I-5 where speed limit is 70 but traffic runs more like 85. My last trip to Palm Springs averaged 69 MPH and just over 18 MPG for 468 miles (tank and a half). The city averages I posted do include a few short highway runs of a mile or two each day but not much more than that. We live in a suburban/rural area where many roads are 30-50 and not many long lights.

My commute which I normally take in a GMC diesel pickup is 1.8 miles over a narrow, winding road where I average 18 MPH and 6-7 MPG. No idling but a lot of switchbacks where I am on an off the gas and brakes.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick update on this thread. Winter was rough on my gas mileage. I didn't have many trips over 5 miles long and the cold temps with slick conditions and lots of snow killed my MPGs. Most tanks were in the mid to high 13s. The lowest was 13.2 and the best all winter was about 15.6. My sales rep told me cold temps were going to really knock down the MPGs down and he was right.

Rob

Last edited:

vliberman

Reaction score
I live in California and had car for 3 weeks.... Have around 1,500 miles on the car so far and averaged around 15mpg in mostly city driving....

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mph

I would like to trade with all of you. :) Here in grinding stop and go traffic in NY..i am only averaging 11mph-12mph all the time. On the highway i have gotten up 15.7mph. However when i complained about it to the dealership..i was told owners of "Rovers" should never complain about MPH. Go figure!

minazaki

Reaction score
Just through my first tank, 12MPG. 75/25 city/highway. Ouch. Hoping this improves... will report back with any improvements.

First fill-up today on my own dime, $66 and change.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reset Trip B on every fill up, and also do a manual calculation. I've found that the computer reports around 1.5 mpg higher than my actual calculations.

On manual calculations, I get 13-14 mpg on mostly city driving, and about 16 mpg on mixed city/highway.

Last edited:

minazaki

Reaction score
I reset Trip B on every fill up, and also do a manual calculation. I've found that the computer reports around 1.5 mpg higher than my actual calculations.

On manual calculations, I get 13-14 mpg on mostly city driving, and about 16 mpg on mixed city/highway.

In every car I've ever owned, I've always used one of the trip meters (usually A) to calculate my own fuel economy. LR4's computer matched my own calculation exactly (for the first full tank, anyway), but I'll keep an eye out for any disparity in the future.

Out of curiosity (and totally unrelated), I'm curious to know how you use your second trip meter..

ak6ar

Reaction score
I have about 1000 miles on the truck now, and with about 90% city driving (we had 1 trip of about 200 miles), the truck is averaging 12mpg. I expected this though as our prior RR and LR3 both had around this same mpg.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72