Getting spooked- weird stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had new OEM rims, aftermarket TPMS and tires put on my 2016 LR4. TPMS are correct frequency but are not being read by the LR even after about 100 mi. At same time engine lite went on and shift knob locked up intermittently. It would go up but couldn't be turned. Shut down, restart, shift ok.

Apparently LR doesn't release diagnostic codes until 2 yrs after model year (is this true or is it bs?) and nobody near me has diagnostic ability.

Nearest dealer 2 1/2 hrs away.

Now the engine lite went out and shifter ok.

Dealer tells me that some aftermarket sensors just don't work even if frequency correct and suggest replacing with OEM. Also said sensor prob not related to engine lite or shifter but that if these cleared up not to worry.

I'm taking it into remote Canada hunting in a few weeks. Should I worry? It would be extremely difficult to get it to dealer between Easter and when I leave.

Any ideas?

Frank

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is your battery?

I would think the CEL light and TPMS would be entirely unrelated. The batteries in LR4s go bad after a couple of years, and they start creating all sorts of electrical gremlins before they do.

You may also look into getting an IID tool. You can search on the forum to see what all it does, but suffice to say it's a diagnostic tool that also allows you to go in and make changes.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would order an OBDII fault reader from Amazon. You can get them fairly cheap (about $50) but I ended up getting a more advanced one that could read and graph live data. Still cheaper than a IID tool and you can use it on any car with OBDII. I was getting an intermittent check-engine light that I wanted to figure out before bringing it in for service. I don't have much experience with engine diagnostics but the good news is that even when the light goes out the fault code is stored until manually cleared.

I was able to determine the issue and, fortunately, have the dealer tell me the same thing. It was fixed under warranty.
fault code1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4