Great roof rail design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vhousad

Reaction score
Given the height of the LR4, loading up cargo on the roof can certainly be a challenge (I'm not short either at 6'1"). Also, keeping a rack more or less permanently mounted at all times leaves a lot to be desired. Just wanted to pass along the great experience I have been having with the Thule Tracker II system (http://thule.com/en/US/Products/BaseRacks/Feet/430 Tracker II Foot Pack.aspx)

Basically the cross bars pop on and off VERY easily and are firm when attached. Right now I have 2 bike racks mounted to the cross-bars, effectively making an oblong tic-tac-toe board base if you will. With the rack sitting on the ground, I load up and secure my bikes or other cargo. Another person and I then pick up the entire contraption like pallbearers and attach the whole thing to the roof in seconds.

For me, this has been a wonderful alternative to standing on a ladder and securing my load to the roof of the car. Thought this approach might be useful for anyone looking into buying a roof rack system.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm... got any pix of your car with the rack in action?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to see the rack too. Not sure I would use one much, but I'm still thinking about getting one.

vhousad

Reaction score
Attached are a few basic pictures. The one on the left shows the points of attachment to the roof that remain when nothing is loaded. I currently have the bike racks attached to the crossbars although this would clearly work just as easily with a cargo case.

Attachments

• AK163122-1.JPG
    AK163122-1.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 479
  • AK163123-1.JPG
    AK163123-1.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 468

GoCraigers

Reaction score
Do the permanent foot mounts attached to where the regular Land Rover roof rack gets attached? This seems like a super easy option and much less expensive.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got pretty much the same rack, only yakima's version. I find that standing on the tailgate and loading the bikes is pretty much the easiest way for me - especially when solo.

FiveG

Reaction score
So this is in lieu of the OEM side rails? Does it preclude having the side rails in place?

And, I'm taking it you can use a standard Thule bar with this?

Thanks.

FiveG

vhousad

Reaction score
Do the permanent foot mounts attached to where the regular Land Rover roof rack gets attached? This seems like a super easy option and much less expensive.

Yes - the foot mounts attach to the normal LR roof rails.

jcinfburg

Reaction score
bike roof mount alternative

I was bummed when buying my '11 LR4 that the roof rails and cross bars were exorbitantly expensive. I have a full Yakima rack, so retrofitting with new mounts, then buying the roof rails was going to cost well over a grand. The height of the LR4 allows my road bike to stand upright, so I have a $25 solution that works great. I really like not having deal with trying to get the bike on top and exposed to the elements and possible theft. If I needed the cargo or passenger space, I do have a hitch mount rack that I could use. I posted to show that there is a really inexpensive alternative to roof mounts.

1. Mounted to a piece of wood the Yakima Blockhead.
2. Used hook and mounting clip to clip to seat anchor to prevent the bike from moving front or backward.
3. Used 24" bungie cord to back of frame to keep bike upright.

Attachments

• DSCN5242.JPG
    DSCN5242.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCN5243.JPG
    DSCN5243.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCN5244.JPG
    DSCN5244.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCN5245.JPG
    DSCN5245.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 353

vliberman

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase new LR4 and dealer is quoting around $1,100 for the roof rack system. Seems a bit excessive. Was wondering if by employing above Thule system, I would not have to get OEM rails at all?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635