Hardwiring Valentine One radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jak167

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2006 LR3, removed the working Valentine One hardwiring kit from the old vehicle and tried to install on the LR3. Could not find power from the overhead light unit to power detector. Lights all worked, but nothing powered unit. Fuses all check out. Does the LR3 have some weird voltage for the lights? Any suggestions appreciated.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you hook it up to the light that dims? Because that could be bad. I ran my wire for mine behind the head-liner, down the A-Pillar, behind the steering wheel, and into the ignition. That way it's a solid 12v to it.

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wired my FM Radio to the cigarette lighter jack in the second row seating. Everything is working fine. On my E-320 I have V1 and I hard wired it directly to the battery, since it is under the seat. I had to run the extension from the V1 power cord to the battery.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link umbertob, I've had my V1 sitting on my dash with that unsightly cable ever since i've had my car, wasn't brave enough to start going through LR electrics. Gonna give that hardwire a try this weekend.

jak167

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. umbertob, I'll review the link and do some more digging this weekend to see if I can get it to work.

jak167

Reaction score
umbertob, great news, worked like a charm. Ran the wire through the plastic cover behind he mirror and have it peeking our from the bottom. V1 mounted just under the mirror, towards the driver's side (prevents interference withe visor). Thanks everyone for the help.

uspurs

Reaction score
That's a great guide, umbertob, thanks.

I actually tried to mount my V1 just above the rearview mirror (clear view front & back) and got laser warning signals on the V1 .... not sure if that's something to do with the rain-sensing wipers?

Anyhow, mounting just below the rearview mirror looks to be just as good an option.

Thanks again, John

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out, this must mean that the wiring for LR3 and RRS is pretty much the same above the overhead console. False laser alarms can be triggered by sun reflections over the hood hitting the detector at just the right angle, or even an Infiniti driving by with an active laser guided cruise control. I almost thought of turning off the laser alert on the V1 entirely (since CHP and police officers around here still use K or Ka band radar guns, and if they use laser you are usually toast anyway by the time they clock you), but then I figured that if a lucky bounce gets me off the hook at a single speed trap in the future, it will be worth all the false alarms I occasionally get. :biggrin:

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Uspurs, same thing happened to me. I reckon its due to the black reflection dots or whatever they are up near the mirror and roofline. I moved the V1 over to the left just out of the way and it stopped yelling laser warnings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635