Heavy duty package - how to tell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goody

Reaction score
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 13 lr4 that thee dealer says has the heavy duty package. It has the full size spare but I'm not seeing anything on topix that says it has it.

How is it listed on topix's feature list?

Is ther any other way to tell?

Is it possible that it has a full size spare without HDP?

Hopefully I will be joing the club tomorrow if I can figure this out abpnd we can work out a deal.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why the option is not showing up on Topix? I think if you go to the off road screen option (4x4 info), then you will see 2 locks (they will be green and unlocked) in the graphic of the vehicle. I think LR4s without the locking diff. only have one "lock" there (the middle one). I could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

Here is a photo of what mine looks like (this was driving off road):

69-9E17F4FCDEBC-10164-00000256B7867630_zps892637b0.jpg

Last edited:

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On topix as long as you don't see open style rear diff on the specs you should have locking rear diff.

Goody

Reaction score
That photo is really really helpful.

Samcarloso - topix actually doesn't list open style rear diff , but don't see anything like heavy duty.

I'm going to go back to the dealer and check it.

Thank you both so much!

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The specs on Topix for my 2013 with HD specifically state "LOCKING REAR AXLE - E DIFF" and "SPARE WHEEL-CONVENTIONAL ALLOY" among the vehicle features (need to click the "Show More Vehicle Features" icon for the detailed specs to pop up.) Like Finlayforprez, I also believe you would only see a center padlock in the 4x4 screen of a LR4 if the vehicle had an open rear diff.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That photo is really really helpful.

Samcarloso - topix actually doesn't list open style rear diff , but don't see anything like heavy duty.

I'm going to go back to the dealer and check it.

Thank you both so much!
Keep us posted!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 2013, yes, it will only show the rear lock icon if you have the e-diff, but that is not true for older models. On the older software it shows the lock but it just never turns orange/red.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why the option is not showing up on Topix? I think if you go to the off road screen option (4x4 info), then you will see 2 locks (they will be green and unlocked) in the graphic of the vehicle. I think LR4s without the locking diff. only have one "lock" there (the middle one). I could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

Here is a photo of what mine looks like (this was driving off road):

69-9E17F4FCDEBC-10164-00000256B7867630_zps892637b0.jpg

David, looking I noticed that each differential lock icon has three stages/sections/degrees to indicate the intensity or percentage of current lock. Are the differentials in LR4 not infinitely variable? Or there really are only three level of differential locking.

Goody

Reaction score
All - thanks for the help. Just picked up 13 lux with heavy duty. All the info here was helpful in making my decision.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4