HELP!! Engine trouble.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JIM P

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2014 Range Rover Sport that has a Timing Chain problem (broken) that I’m told may require a completely replaced/rebuilt engine because of the potential damage that may have been done to the valves when the chain breaks. The car is in Palm Desert Ca now. Does anyone know someone out there that rebuilds Rover engines or can replace with a used engine without it costing a fortune? Apparently Rovers have had issues with timing chains leading to this kind of ridiculously expensive situation. The car was in excellent shape and now it could cost $15K to fix!!! Any help will be very much appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a 5 liter V8. Sadly this is an expensive fix and can happen.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay that is an odd one then, I haven't heard the 3L V6 having that issue. Same engine in most Jags. I would check and see if there is any class actions or recalls.

JIM P

Reaction score
If there are ANY OTHER Range Rover Sport V6 owners who have experienced TIMING CHAIN issues, please contact me because a firm just settled a Lawsuit for V8 engines from 2012-2014 with Land Rover and they are thinking of opening up a class action suit for V6 engine owners who have experienced the same problems with their cars. Land Rover knew they had a problem with these Timing Chains and did not fix the issue and do the right thing by telling potential customers that they had a problem and were going to fix it. It is an enormously expensive repair to replace engine and it is not right that they hid this information. If you have a V6 Range Rover from 2012-2014 this could happen to you and you don't want the stress, believe me. I'm not representing anyone but myself with this post. Just trying to warn others.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
The engine can be rebuilt. The damage is to the exhaust valves that can be replaced. This is a better option than replacing engine and potentially inheriting the same fait.

JIM P

Reaction score
I appreciate the response and advice. Yes, I understand that the engine can either be rebuilt or replaced with a used engine that may encounter the same problem down the road if it was manufactured during the same time period when the defect was part of the manufacture. Do you happen to know a reputable engine rebuilder that is close to Palm Desert California, who is also reasonable in his pricing? I've seen some estimates on USED engines ($17K- $20K installed) which are ridiculous being that the cost is almost as much as the car was worth. But my vehicle's interior/exterior is in almost perfect condition, even with 107K miles on it, and I'm really trying to decide whether to unload the car for what it may be worth with this current problem (maybe $5K-$7K) versus the rebuild of the engine ($?). I'm obviously ****** that Land Rover knew about this, and I am trying to get the Law firm to open up a class action for V6 engines, not just the V8 engines they just settled a case on this Fall, but in the meanwhile I need to move forward on this vehicle, so any advice would help me decide this week. Again, I appreciate any and all comments since I will make my decision very shortly. Won't be buying another RR that's for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA