Higher output alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Renogy 20A dc-dc charger is located in the rear hvac cubby. I ran (Amazon special) 100A breaker fused 2 awg directly to the dc-dc charger, separate wires for aux and starter battery in the engine bay, and a 16 awg signal wire from F60.
Hi again djlaosone, have tried contacting Renogy?

See what they might say.

It sounds like it is set up correctly, with the Ignition Sense wire.

The reason I asked is because many people do not connect the Ignition Sense wire, and once the D4 has been driven for an hour or so, if the BSM detects the cranking battery is full, it drops the alternator voltage, and this can be a s low as 12.2v on an LR4.

When the voltage drops, if theIgnition Sense wire is not connected, the low alternator voltage causes the DC/DC device to either turn off or go to a very reduced output current.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Hi again djlaosone, have tried contacting Renogy?

See what they might say.

It sounds like it is set up correctly, with the Ignition Sense wire.

The reason I asked is because many people do not connect the Ignition Sense wire, and once the D4 has been driven for an hour or so, if the BSM detects the cranking battery is full, it drops the alternator voltage, and this can be a s low as 12.2v on an LR4.

When the voltage drops, if theIgnition Sense wire is not connected, the low alternator voltage causes the DC/DC device to either turn off or go to a very reduced output current.
Thanks for the input!

It's weird, I know it's working when driving it around. I think when the aux battery dips below a certain voltage and the Renogy can't keep up charging it shuts itself off. I specifically got the 20A version, because I didn't want to strain the alternator at idle. I monitor my alternator load and at times it gets into the mid-80As and more under heavier loads. With a 150A alternator, I didn't want to get into the higher range of the alternator output with a 40A or 60A charger.

I'll reach out to Renogy.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi again djkaosone, and don't worry about overloading your alternator. It can not happen.

All alternators, by the very way they operate, are literally self-protected against current overload.

I have read through the Renogy DC/DC manual, and like most, it is somewhat short on operating info.

In this case as to whether the DC/DC reduces OUTPUT charge current and if so, based on what INPUT voltages.

Just a suggestion, when you contact Renogy, see if they can supply that sort of info.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
For those that need/want a picture of F60 and the position of the piggyback fuse pigtal, here you go. It's suppose to be DCC for "Direct Current Charger", and the white paint pen made it look weird.

20230301_184547.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72