Higher output alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My electrician buddy said its doable. I was going to do this where I simply stick the resistor into the the 2 prong wire and find the correct resistor that'll trick the system to give the proper voltage I want. I'm pretty sure anything bewteen 14.3V-14.7V is perfect.

I ended up getting a dc-dc charger for my secondary battery and got rid of my traditional battery isolator. I'm pretty happy with the new setup. If anyone is wondering, F60 behind the glove box is an instant ACC On/Off with the push Start/Stop button.
Amazing, I was about to look for a fuse that I could tap for the blue wire!!

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Amazing, I was about to look for a fuse that I could tap for the blue wire!!
Use a mini fuse tap with the top of F60 as the main +12V feed. Meaning the position of the mini fuse tap is important. Also, make sure you don't bridge the main F60 top and bottom by leaving the main mini fuse tap blank. Use a multimeter or 12V light tester to be sure of live wires and polarity.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a mini fuse tap with the top of F60 as the main +12V feed. Meaning the position of the mini fuse tap is important. Also, make sure you don't bridge the main F60 top and bottom by leaving the main mini fuse tap blank. Use a multimeter or 12V light tester to be sure of live wires and polarity.
About to decide between a Renogy or Redarc for dcdc trailer charging. Though the Redarc is a bundle more, it has internal mppt. For F60 “blue wire” connection, I guess I don’t follow the orientation and bridging suggestions. Can you possibly dumb it down for me or maybe a pic of what you mean? Thanks man. C

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to decide between a Renogy or Redarc for dcdc trailer charging. Though the Redarc is a bundle more, it has internal mppt. For F60 “blue wire” connection, I guess I don’t follow the orientation and bridging suggestions. Can you possibly dumb it down for me or maybe a pic of what you mean? Thanks man. C
removed

Last edited:

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks. Sorry I wasn’t clear. Yes I’m familiar and have used said fuse taps. I just didn’t follow this part:
with the top of F60 as the main +12V feed. Meaning the position of the mini fuse tap is important. Also, make sure you don't bridge the main F60 top and bottom by leaving the main mini fuse tap blank.

I wasn’t following the description of the orientation of the fuse tap and main feed and the comment about “bridging” the main fuse tap. If all this is simply to say, don’t leave the fuse tap empty, then I think I get it.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks. Sorry I wasn’t clear. Yes I’m familiar and have used said fuse taps. I just didn’t follow this part:

I wasn’t following the description of the orientation of the fuse tap and main feed and the comment about “bridging” the main fuse tap. If all this is simply to say, don’t leave the fuse tap empty, then I think I get it.
Oh lol, edited

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I have the Renogy dc-dc and I think it's ok for light duty use. Maybe it's just me, but on my last trip it failed on me at night while under heavy loads using all my led lights. One would think a dc-dc charger would continue charging even though it's not charging fast enough, but it stopped for the rest of the trip.

About the F60, the fuse holder has 2 prongs. The upper prong is instantly 12V powered on/off with the push button start/stop. The lower prong does nothing, but I assume it's prewired to somewhere providing power to something and I don't want to accidentally add power to it with a fuse tap. Hence, leaving the main fuse of the fuse tap blank. The fuse tap has 2 fuse connectors, where 1 is for the main fuse being tapped and the other for the auxiliary power being tapped. The orientation of the fuse tap is important, because its tapping into the top prong of F60. If the orientation of the tap is reversed, power is provided my the lower prong.

To test, I simply plugged the fuse tap in F60 and used a multimeter to check voltage. With the truck off, there's zero power on any prongs. With the truck on, I tested for +12v on each prong of the fuse tap. I made sure the tail only got power when there was a fuse in place. Now I wonder if all fuse trails are made the same way.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Renogy dc-dc and I think it's ok for light duty use. Maybe it's just me, but on my last trip it failed on me at night while under heavy loads using all my led lights. One would think a dc-dc charger would continue charging even though it's not charging fast enough, but it stopped for the rest of the trip.

Hi djkaosne, could you give more details on what happened and how you have the Renogy wired up?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The Renogy 20A dc-dc charger is located in the rear hvac cubby. I ran (Amazon special) 100A breaker fused 2 awg directly to the dc-dc charger, separate wires for aux and starter battery in the engine bay, and a 16 awg signal wire from F60.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV