Hitch Receiver Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vhousad

Reaction score
Is the OEM hitch receiver (part LR019990) designed to work with any standard 2" ball mount? I would hope this is the case although seeing how LR offers its own ball mount kit, I was wondering if the receiver was designed with a non-standard size unique to LR.
Thanks!

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, the reciever is set up to accept a standard 2" type of bar. I use mine for various items: Hitch mounted cargo carrier, bike rack and d'ring shackle.

If you plan to tow something, make sure you read the manual on the limitations. The reciever is makered with a 550 pound tounge weight even though the LR4 is rated to tow 7716 pounds. Not quite the recomended 10% sitting on the hitch. Other limitaions are the total rise of the bar that you can use. The manual on the LR4 said 1.5". Also note that weight distributing hitches are not recomended with the LR4.

There is a great towing thread on the LR3 forum of this site. I swear I read it every other week. You should find good information in there.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of other things I should have pointed out:

Here is a link to the part you want for the LR4:

http://bputah.com/LR3/Land_Range_Rover_Sport_LR3_Tow_Hitch_Receiver_KBN500023.html

Make sure that you are getting the newest version of the reciever attachment. There is really nothing wrong with the older versions. I did hear reports that the first version had issues with the locking mechanism not working correctly and the second generation was just a new vendor used for the locking mechanism. Both version 1 and 2 were longer and hung down farther from the vehicle.

The third generation tucks up closer to the rear of the truck. I will try to snap a shot of mine this morning for you.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a parking lot shot of my LR4 with the reciver hitch plugged in to the recepticle:

CIMG0057.jpg

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I think the guys in the LR3 forum have hashed this out too. It seems that some of them wanted to have a heavier wieght on the hitch and decided that was a better way to go, and it certianly helped that it was cheaper.

To me I like the idea of have it removable and factory correct. Any issues I could then direct back to Land Rover. I think the aftermarket one may actually sit closer to the bumper than the factory one, but I think spare tire clearance may be a little tigher.

Good luck,

Rob

Stomachdoc

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up the Tow Hitch Receiver for my LR4; are there online places that are a significant savings from the dealer? Feel free to PM me if you can't post business names here.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked mine up for about $350, I will try to dig up the name of the guy I bought it from. I think he works for a dealer on the east coast.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo