How Peppy is Your LR3 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Colt45

Hello everyone. My new LR3 is in the shop having the nav system worked on. Hopefully, (fingers crossed), everything will be working properly this week. - - - Anyway, I was given another LR3 as a loaner. This is a basic model. It doesn't have the 3rd row seating that's on my car, or nav, etc. (My SE is fully loaded.)- - - But, I noticed that this loaner LR3 definitely feels peppier than my car. That is, if you stomp down on the gas the loaner vehicle accelerates much more quickly than my LR3. The loaner has about 2,700 miles on it. My car has about 2,000. - - - Because of the options and accessories I have on my vehicle, its undoubtedly a little heavier than the loaner car - but not enough to make such a difference in performance. - - - If I hadn't had the opportunity to drive two different LR3s over a period of time, I wouldn't have had a means of comparison. - - - (One other note, - - my LR3 was shipped up from California and I'm in Washington state. I had asked about the CA emmissions standards and performance earlier.) Any input on what might account for the difference between the two vehicles would be appreciated. Thanks, - -

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find someone with a dyno... ;-)

Colt45, a few hundred pounds can make a difference. Sorry, "feeling peppier" isn't going to do it. You are going to have to do something a little more scientific than that. Like accurately timing 0-60, 30-60, 50-70, etc.

If you can't do something more controlled, ask your dealer to test drive a vehicle closer in spec to yours and compare... hopefully with the same interior color to limit placebo influence.

R

roverdawg

Colt45,

Grommet's correct, you'll have to be more specific. That being said, mine's "peppier", too. I've read several reviews where the writer laments the lack of acceleration in the LR3. I don't know what they're talking about 'cuz mine is FAST out of the gate. MAybe it's all relative as I'm coming from a 1998 Disco. I'm also in Wash. and it came up from California as well so I don't think that's a factor...

F

Freeflytim

I know what you are talking about....
Maybe you're not driving your own truck 'hard enough' and the loaner was?

Someone on some board posted that their truck was 'sluggish' and the mechanic fixed it by taking it around the block driving the **** out of it.

The tranny adapts to driving styles.

Ive noticed this in mine. If Im stuck in traffic my truck feels like it is in third gear when I leave a stoplight. It will continue to feel sluggish until I get on open road and ‘get on it’ for a while. After that, its all good.

‘Normal’ and ‘sport’ tranny modes are also day and night different.

My thoughts.

Glad you got another LR3 as a loaner. I had mine in a couple of weeks ago and got a Freelander as a loaner… No MP3 support!!

TIM

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colt45

Freeflytim - thanks for your useful comments. While I didn't take the time to measure the performance of the two vehicles with a stopwatch, there is a noticeable & obvious difference that I was curious about and is readily apparent to me. - - When my LR3 comes back from the shop I will spend some time 'getting on it' (mpg be d*mned ! ) - - Its true that I have been driving the loaner in a 'more vigorous' manner than my LR3 - - especially after discovering how much better its acceleration is. I will try your suggestion and see what effect it has. - - Regards, - -

T

toddjb123

I've been saving this thought for another post as I know some of you LR diehards will take issue with it, but I'm not impressed with the 4.4 V8 in the LR3. I'm sure it is quicker than some previous heavy SUV engines were (the old disco mentioned here, the land cruiser prior to upgrade a few years ago, etc.), but its a pig.

I'm used to being able to stomp on it at 65MPH when I want to pass somebody and having the truck lurch forward. If you floor the LR3 on the highway it thinks about it for a couple seconds and then takes its time accelerating. Which I interpret as limitations of the engine to move this heavy truck.

The vehicle does have impressive tow and torque ratings, which I'm sure it has been fine tuned to achieve, but this highly tweeked 4.4L jaq engine does not compete with a Chrysler 5.9L Magnum. That's just a fact, sorry. And I had the 5.9 on a Durango which is heavy as well. I know, the LR3 is heavier, but I want more out of the engine for $55K. I also had better gas mileage with that throaty old Dodge engine! AND it ran on regular gas!!!

So, yes, I still *love* the LR3. To be clear, I'm not saying it is a bad engine, there is plenty of power and most people will be more than satisfied. I'm just coming from an SUV with a better performing engine, and I suspect Dodge's new HEMI performs better as well. LR3 has many more bells, whistles, and deal breaking features of course...which is why I bought it. :)

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
toddjb123 said:
I've been saving this thought for another post as I know some of you LR diehards will take issue with it, but I'm not impressed with the 4.4 V8 in the LR3. I'm sure it is quicker than some previous heavy SUV engines were (the old disco mentioned here, the land cruiser prior to upgrade a few years ago, etc.), but its a pig.

I'm used to being able to stomp on it at 65MPH when I want to pass somebody and having the truck lurch forward. If you floor the LR3 on the highway it thinks about it for a couple seconds and then takes its time accelerating. Which I interpret as limitations of the engine to move this heavy truck.

The vehicle does have impressive tow and torque ratings, which I'm sure it has been fine tuned to achieve, but this highly tweeked 4.4L jaq engine does not compete with a Chrysler 5.9L Magnum. That's just a fact, sorry. And I had the 5.9 on a Durango which is heavy as well. I know, the LR3 is heavier, but I want more out of the engine for $55K. I also had better gas mileage with that throaty old Dodge engine! AND it ran on regular gas!!!

So, yes, I still *love* the LR3. To be clear, I'm not saying it is a bad engine, there is plenty of power and most people will be more than satisfied. I'm just coming from an SUV with a better performing engine, and I suspect Dodge's new HEMI performs better as well. LR3 has many more bells, whistles, and deal breaking features of course...which is why I bought it. :)

Try getting out of slowmatic mode. Flip the tranny over to sport mode and/or slap it down a gear. That's what the tranny is for!

C

Colt45

Toddjb123 - - I was also considering the Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. (I had owned several Jeeps in the past.)But, as an overall vehicle the LR3 is in a totally different class of course. - - I am very happy with my decision to go with the LR3 and I'm looking forward to getting it back from the shop and trying Freeflytim's suggestion to 'get on it' in order to reprogram the transmission response. - - But I am encouraged by the acceleration I experienced with the loaner LR3 that I mentioned earlier. The LR3 has plenty of power to do the jobs I need from it and it is a much better vehicle in my opinion than the Grand Cherokee. - - - That said, it's probably very fortunate that I didn't take a Hemi powered Cherokee out for an open highway test drive. I would've still purchased the LR3, but would have had the Hemi to compare it to everytime I stomped on the accelerator ! - - - Hmmmm - maybe I'll also need to get one of the new Shelby Mustangs when they come out as my "Stomp & Go!" car

T

texas911

Stick it in sport mode and see if that makes a difference, if it does, then its just the adaptive tranny doing its job. I had a Mercedes that did the same thing. If you don't drive it hard, it becomes lazy at shifting.

C

Colt45

texas911 said:
Stick it in sport mode and see if that makes a difference, if it does, then its just the adaptive tranny doing its job. I had a Mercedes that did the same thing. If you don't drive it hard, it becomes lazy at shifting.

Love it ! Cars that get lazy if they aren't worked hard enough - - just like people !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635