How To: Change out ACE filter and fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

ayavner

How To: Change out ACE filter and fluid [D2]

Hello all, I just did this today and it turned out to be quite simple. Thanks to DiscoMike for the procedure, but I did modify it a bit so thought I would post it.

1. change filter. You will want a pan to catch drips. I didn't need to raise the truck at all. On my 2001 Disco II, the ace filter is in the machined block on the passengers side underneath the car - about 1/2 way between front and rear. 10mm hex wrench to remove the cap. Take a 6mm bolt and thread it in the hole on the bottom of the filter to give you something to hold on to as you *pop* it out. Installation is exact reverse.

2. Change fluid. The original procedure I got from Mike was to suck out all the fluid w a syringe, fill it back up, start engine to circulate. Stop engine and repeat until clear. i modified this a bit, cuz my fluid was soooo black, I went thru over 2 qts w no change... soo....

*get a helper*

2a. Drain all fluid out with syringe. Remove return hose (the smaller one). Use something to plug the ****** at the reservoir (i used a clipped off tip from a caulk tube). Cram some clear rubber hose with an OD (outside diameter) approx the same as the ID (inside diameter) of the return hose UP INTO the return hose. Secure the clamp around it. Put the other end of the clear hose into a waste container.

2b. Here is where it requires a bit of finesse..... that pump move ALOT of fluid, quickly. So.... have your helper just switch the key on and off, just to move the engine a bit, but not really enough to start it. You will see fluid moving. Top up the reservoir and repeat. DON'T let the reservior empty!!!

2c. When you start seeing the clear fuild run out of the hose (no more black/brown). Go ahead and remove the clear hose from the return and the plug from the ******... you will need to be quick about stopping the ****** with your finger until you can get the return hose securely on and clamped.

2d. Wipe up any spillage and top up the reservoir to the Max line. Run the engine for a bit, then stop. Add if necessary, or suck out if there is a bit too much.

3. Mike recommended some Lucas p/s additive in addition to this, but I didn't find any, so I went with straight p/s fluid. In all, if you do it right, you can use less than 1 qt. I had used almost 3 before I hit on this method... Then only 1 afterward.

You will probably spill a bit, so be sure to wash any off that might have gotten on your paint or other important areas.

Mod - should I put this in the Tech section as well?

Again, thanks to DiscoMike, hope this is useful!

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
A

ayavner

By the way, I used the Valvoline Synthetic p/s fluid for this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72