Transfer case and diff oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lr4KP

Reaction score
Today I changed the oil in the transfer case and both differentials. The rear had quite a bit of gray looking stuff on the magnets but it all was really smooth in texture when I rubbed it with my finger. Kind of felt anti seize. Is this normal? Also I noticed oil leaking on the bottom of the engine area, mainly near what looked like an oil cooler. I’m not sure where it was coming from.

Attachments

• IMG_8571.jpeg
    IMG_8571.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 23

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil leak could be from the brake vacuum pump. Mine was leaking there before I had it replaced. Its used to pre-pressurize the hydraulic braking system. Its a DIY job.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Model year and mileage would help for context.
Oil leak or seepage or sort of wet? Amount of oil helps.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, oil leaking from the bottom of the engine is a VERY open ended question.

Before I give you the usual suspects, are you leaving any oil on the ground?

Ok, common oil leak points:
1. Valve covers. Over time they just start leaking.
2. Vacuum pump: (Front bottom of engine on the passenger side). There's an o-ring seal that wears out and starts leaking.
3. Tranmission cooler (also front bottom passenger side...actually below the engine mounted to the cross member). The coolers them selves have been known to fail...and they will definitely leave oil (it's actually trans fluid, but because ZF fluid is brown it's hard to tell the difference) on the ground.

Just some things to check.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72